S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Getting the Windshield Replaced Hassles

Old 10-14-2003, 02:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

So I get mildly dusted with gravel from a carpenters p/u and great I can replace my 1.5 year old windshield that looks 10 years old! So i call arround, settle on a glass shop and specify PPG or LOF glass. Mobile guy comes out and after taking out old windshield notices that new one is not the brand I paid for but since it will be 2-4 days w/o a windshield and the new one is german I say do it.
A week or 2 later I notice that there is a circular crack in the glass arround the rear view mirror mount and call for a waaranty replacement.
Guy brings out glass 2day, this time PPG and does the job. I'm inspecting the work and notice that the rubber seal that is very viseable arround the glass has had a manufactureing problem and basically looks like a chipmunk chewed on the rubber every couple of inches. Of course the installer didn't check anything and says let me try fixing that. At this point I say no , this is a pretty car and I want it to continue to look that way. So i'm down for another windshield. The installer now points out a scratch in the glass that he was going to let slide and then I notice that the reason why he put masking tape on the hood surface edge that faces the windshield 1/2 way through the job was so he wouldn't scratch the hood like he has already done on the driver side.

I guess the moral of this story is watch watch watch, inspect all parts yourself and be an agressive asshole instead of an easygoing customer which I try 2b with trades people since i'm an ex-mechanic.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had mine replaced after 3 years and 90k miles. Talk about a planetarium type of effect at dusk with oncoming traffic.

I was hesitant when mine was being replaced but this guy seemed pretty careful with the installation. The first thing he did was point out the rock chips on the hood near the windshield, some faded paint on the windshield wiper assembly, and other blemishes that were there before him. It was more of a CYA thing for him, but that was a nice touch. The removal of the glass was fairly easy, and he cleaned up the dash and windsheild frame before the installation of the new glass. He used 2.5 to 3 tubes of the window caulk/sealant to apply that nice bead around the entire frame. Then he installed the new windshield, pushed in around the frame, and taped the windshield to the frame to help with the curing process. I was told not to drive for an hour, so I ate lunch at a restaurant across the street and everything has been fine since.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:23 PM

The nicks in the rubber seal was not a manufacturers defect. It was the installer. I've had my windshield replaced twice and the first attempt at each installation resulted in a crappy job. The second attempt of each installation resulted in a perfectly installed windshield and seal.

The nicks were a result of the installer not taking his time. The seal would get pinched between the windshield and frame every few inches.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:07 PM

well how about that on the nicks. the first guy did a perfect job just crappy glass or an uncommon stress crack , well hopefully third time is the charm. The glass people seem to use a lot more sealant than the oem install and the 2nd guy claimed that he had to grind it all out or it might leak, i think this is when he nicked my paint.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:34 AM

How much did you all pay if you don't mind me asking? I need this done bad.....
Old 10-16-2003, 08:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S TWO K
How much did you all pay if you don't mind me asking?