S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Gears Frnt Lip

Old 05-07-2003, 07:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, a cheapter copy made of urethane and better fit would be awsome!
Old 05-07-2003, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually think the BYS front lip (lower version) looks a lot cleaner than the Gears; nevertheless, I'm excited to see if you can come up with a better substitute.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the BYS do you prefer over the Gears? that little flare out on the front sides? I prefered the Gears because of the line/scoop look coming up into the faux.

Also, the tail lens covers are being redesigned as well. The current Gears design is a stick on version to cover the OEM clear plastic. I'm looking to create a replacement for the entire OEM clear cover. I just don't like stick ons.

If anyone wants pics of the raw Gears product, let me know and I will post.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:59 AM

I know that the Amuse lip is pretty popular with the modding crowd here, but I'm more into the subtle kits in line with what the traditional DTM tuners have done with the BMWs and Benzes of this world. That's why I personally went with the OEM stuff because it doesn't over-do it and also why I like the Gears and BYS front lips as both are natural looking enhancements to a car that really calls for it --> looks like it's riding on the ground, but in actuality has enough clearance to deal with your everyday speed bumps and curbs.

I don't like how the Gears version flares inwards at the ends. If you've seen the E46 M3 and the RSX Type-R, both of their front lips protrude out at the ends which gives the car a fuller, lower look. Amuse does the same thing, but is way too extreme about it. I think the S2000's main weakness in stock form is that it sits up too high and the stock bumper ends up looking cut off at the bottom. Also, the car is very narrow and looks narrow so anything that gives it the hunkered down, fuller look really does it for me personally.

Maybe you can design a custom one yourself, man. I think that'd be way cooler than doing up a copy, but then, I'm sure that cost would be a concern going down that avenue.

For me, the ultimate lip would be: 1) made of a flexible material like that of the OEM front lip; 2) low like the BYS lip specs; 3) the lip angles out on the bottom, from side-to-side, but has a bit more angle on the ends. Subtle, but makes a huge impact on looks. BYS has got it, but to get it on the car all done up, it'll cost up to ~$1K.

Type-R Pic
BYS Lip Pic
E46 M3
Old 05-07-2003, 09:49 AM

Essentially it will be my own design once I'm done with it. I agree with you on the subtleness of body kits. If I wanted to look like I was in high school I would've bought a Civic or a Mitsubishi.

So, here's what we have so far side by side (or on top).

The OEM is nice and subtle, but not low enough. It has a good slight flare towards the outside but the lines aren't defined enough. Mounting is easy of course since it is afterall, OEM.

The Gears has a good line up into the faux with low overlap on it's upper half over the bumper but then dies out towards the edge with no flare. The side mounting brackets are cheap and ugly, it's made out of fiberglass and the fit isn't quite right.

The BYS I have no personal experience with but it appears to have a very nice flare out towards the sides and a good drop on the front end appearance. To me, it looks as if it mounts up a little too high into the center grill, is there a large flat piece that goes into the opening? Without measuring I can't say for sure but the Gears may have a bit more drop on the front than BYS.

Also, the BYS follows the curve line of the inside grill bringing out into the front overhang of the lip which I like, the Gears sort of ignores that and brings the curve up into the faux and then is flat all the way out.

I'll do my best to come up with a drawing of what I'm thinking...
Old 05-07-2003, 09:58 AM

I'm picking up what you're throwing down.

BYS definitely has the best design out of all lips that I've seen.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Ray

I vote for Gears design that mounts like the OEM lip.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:59 AM

Got the OEM lip in yesterday and all I can say is, wow. Compared to the Gears lip this thing is beautiful (in design). The mounting holes are riveted metal plates (Gears is just holes in the fiberglass), the side mounting brackets cruve around the entire front with pre drilled screw holes and it's painted (Gears is a cheap metal peice for 1 screw). The OEM lip also has a thin rubber gasket around the area that come in conatct with your bumper, Gears does not.

The main thing I noticed, the front 3 mounting holes on the Gears lip line up perfect with the oem. The outter 2 left and outer 2 right are at least 1/2"-3/4" short. I'm going to assume that the OEM is built correctly and the Gears is off.

The metal mounting brakets are nice (I think) with thightening down directly onto the Gears lip, especially it being fiberglass is way to high on the crack factor. No worries with the metal bracket on the OEM, carnk it down nice and tight.

The side plastic mounting brackets are great as well. Looks more like it was made for the car and not stuck on. The rubber gasket is nice too, that and I can play golf with the OEM lip and not worry about it breaking, nice, flexible ABS plastic, and already painted. I used to think the OEM was expensive, but after seeing it, I think it's worth the $ for the design of it.

I don't know if anyone else has a similar mounting design, but they should, and the Gears copy I make will.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:13 AM

So are you making a spot-on Gears copy or a custom copy that looks more like the BYS?
Old 05-09-2003, 10:19 AM

More of a combo of the OEM and Gears. The OEM has a slight flare out that I like, nothing too dramatic.

Quick Reply: Gears Frnt Lip