S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Gears

Old 08-23-2005, 09:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and ryan (overbooster) brought up a very good point. i'm willing to bet you've never even ridden in a geared S2000, much less tried racing one. go do that with even a half decent driver, and then come back and tell me there's no difference.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Aug 23 2005, 09:56 PM
sure, if you want to pick nits.
Beats the hell out of claiming there is no gray area to your conclusions which are based on faulty logic. Which is the only thing I've taken issue with here.

[QUOTE=Wisconsin S2k,Aug 23 2005, 09:56 PM]the point is, those "variables" which you are referring to are, as a whole, smaller than the advantage the gearing provies.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Aug 23 2005, 10:03 PM
and ryan (overbooster) brought up a very good point. i'm willing to bet you've never even ridden in a geared S2000, much less tried racing one. go do that with even a half decent driver, and then come back and tell me there's no difference.
Ah yes, the good old butt dyno...
Old 08-23-2005, 09:38 PM

Wisconsin, you may not be a big proponent of the "butt dyno", but don't you see that is exactly what you are arguing from?

"i'm willing to bet you've never even ridden in a geared S2000, much less tried racing one. go do that with even a half decent driver, and then come back and tell me there's no difference."

Put up an accel v. time plot from two cars, all else being the same.

Physics says that your increase in kinetic energy is 1/2 M V^2. That energy can only come from the engine. Power is energy/time. Gears don't provide power, the engine does.

If you take your agument to the extreme (and going back to the original question), a 6:1 gear ratio would be even quicker. Why aren't you running that?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Aug 23 2005, 11:32 PM
Ah yes, the good old butt dyno...
ahem. emphasis on MUCH LESS RACED ONE.

In other words GO RACE AGAINST ONE with even half a decent driver, then come back and say there is no difference.

Wisconsin, you may not be a big proponent of the "butt dyno", but don't you see that is exactly what you are arguing from?

"i'm willing to bet you've never even ridden in a geared S2000, much less tried racing one. go do that with even a half decent driver, and then come back and tell me there's no difference."
and the same to you. emphasis on the bolded part.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:58 PM

Beats the hell out of claiming there is no gray area to your conclusions which are based on faulty logic. Which is the only thing I've taken issue with here.
right. never mind the fact that these "gray areas" are not applicable to real world examples, since they require situations like a race starting at 80mph and ending at 90mph.

You have obviously given up on the truth if you think eliminating or minimizing independent variables and getting a large enough sample size(set of measurements) from a representative population pool is not important when trying to prove something.
tell that to yourself the first time you have the fortune of running into a geared S2000 and getting your butt handed to you.

It's not that hard to point out where this could happen. If you are forced to take turns in a higher gear because of your lower final drive, it is likely to hurt your times.
first let's use my example of me racing greg. let's say we are coming out of a turn at 80mph. I am in 4th, greg is in 3rd, so he has a *slight* gearing advantage. we accelerate out of the turn and are able to get to say 95mph before we must slow for the next turn. Greg has two choices. he can either bounce of the rev limiter and then slow down, or he can shift to 4th for a split second, only to have to downshift back to 3rd as he comes into the next turn. I, on the other hand, can stay in 4th gear the entire time and not have to lose any time from shifting, not to mention that beyond the 90mph mark, my gearing advantage is probably double or triple what his was.

the outcome would be that we'd either be even, or one of us is slightly ahead of the other. however, that's one turn on an entire track. if you think that you can find an entire track based off of this exact scenario, and that can also somehow even negate the advantage of the initial acceleration off the starting line, then you may have a case to argue.

however, this again, is the real world, and i'm willing to bet that overall, at 99% of the tracks you can find, the 4.57 geared S2000 has an overall advantage.

Again, I never said gearing doesn't make a difference, I just felt the need to point out the logical fallacies you used to state the case for the unchallenged superiority of 4.57s over stock.
ok, if you wish to challenge the superiority of the 4.57 gears, then provide proof. I have video, as well as many other drivers and owners who either have or have raced against 4.57 geared cars and support my "superiority" claim. On top of that, engineers have done the math and supported the results that real world owners see in terms of performance.

so far, you have done neither of the two. you've done no calculations, nor have you done any real world experience tests or examples.

It sounds like you aren't taking into consideration the fact that the power curve is not flat... If it were horizontal, it would be a lot easier to justify your claims.
lol, hence the reason it's called "area under the curve. in other words, it takes into consideration that the torque curve is not flat.

This reminds me of the Downing street memo that talks about how the "facts were being fixed around the policy". Consider how many people got the facts wrong about WMDs because of that type of policy. A graph is not likely to mean much to you if you don't understand what it represents.
now you claim that I "dont know what it represents" and that I have "fixed the facts around the policy". Do you have proof to back up these claims? No? interesting. I also bet that CrazyPhuD would take issue with you if you told him that he doesn't know what the graphs he has created represent.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Aug 23 2005, 10:45 PM
ahem. emphasis on MUCH LESS RACED ONE.

In other words GO RACE AGAINST ONE with even half a decent driver, then come back and say there is no difference.
Who's gonna lend me an AP1 with 4.11 gears? Do I get to choose the speed interval and conditions? It brings little to the discussion to say your claims can be settled by adding independent variables and sticking to a small population pool.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Aug 23 2005, 11:38 PM
Physics says that your increase in kinetic energy is 1/2 M V^2. That energy can only come from the engine. Power is energy/time. Gears don't provide power, the engine does.
i'll quote an engineer who posted as to why gears make a car accelerate faster in this case.

F=ma

(Force = Mass X Acceleration)

Work from there. If we accept that a gearset acts as a torque multiplier, and we accept torque as twisting force that we use as a linear action force for the car (where rubber meets the road, so to speak), then we know that the force accelerating the car will be greater.

As the car's mass is roughly the same (maybe the gears are a bit heavier, but this could be offset by the passenger losing his/her lunch from repeated acceleration runs), then we have no choice in maintaining this equality but to increase acceleration.

Basically, if 'F' goes up and 'm' stays the same, 'a' *has* to go up. Energy is part of the game, but you should really care about force in this case.
Let's say that we're going to get to 100mph. We'll skip friction and efficiency losses for a moment.

You're going to do it by accelerating at 1mph/s. (Say, a stock S2000 in sixth gear wink.gif )

I'm going to do it by getting hit by fast-moving semi truck.

We both have the same amount of kinetic energy at 100mph, and we, thus, both have the same amount of applied energy. The accelerative forces applied are far different. In fact, if we were having a frictionless drag-race in which we each stopped gaining speed at 100mph, my remains would win regardless of the length of the race, because I would have been in front of you for what can be regarded as the entire time.

Your initial connection between mass, energy, and acceleration is based on a fallacious assumption.

Here are a couple of rules:

F = ma
(Force = Mass * Acceleration)

KE = 1/2 m * v^2
(Kinetic Energy = 1/2 * Mass * Velocity squared)

This is a unit-based equation, and you could merely take note that Kinetic Energy is proportional to mass and, far more importantly, proportional to the square of Velocity.

The first rule here is the most important. The relationship between mass, acceleration, and force is important. No term for energy is applied here.
so in other words, the real equation you need to be using here is

F = ma

We know the mass is constant. which means if the F (force) goes up, then so much the acceleration. Do you know how to calculate the F (force)? I'll give you a hint. it involves the gear ratios.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:10 PM

by the way, this information came from the very first thread I had made regarding my 4.57 gears.

someone, like yourself, was using the kinetic energy argument, and an engineer stepped in and corrected them.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Aug 24 2005, 12:08 AM
Who's gonna lend me an AP1 with 4.11 gears? Do I get to choose the speed interval and conditions? It brings little to the discussion to say your claims can be settled by adding independent variables and sticking to a small population pool.
race any stock ap1 or ap2 against a 4.57 geared S2000 and you'll see.

by the way, see my little equation above? this is the first part to plotting out the end result, ignoring all variables.

if you take the F = ma and calculate the force, which uses gearing, torque at a given rpm, etc, do it for the ENTIRE rpm range. THEN plot in the shift points, and you can determine which car is faster from any speed, ignoring all factors such as drivers, drag losses, etc. you will find that the 4.57 geared S2000 is substantially faster.

Quick Reply: Gears