S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Gear Grind??? What's the real deal???

Old 02-17-2002, 08:13 PM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wchin
[B]Been reading the posts and couldn't resist...

That's why many trannies have two synchronizers for first and second.

Wei-Shen
Old 02-17-2002, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 02. It does not grind but is a bit notchy, and occaisionally a touch "metalic" at slow rpm shifts when I'm not careful. However, when I go through the gears at redline, absolutely no problem at all; slick and quick (don't really understand why).

What irrates me though is the idler gear noise (I think thats what it is). Although not that noticeable in 5th and 6th, the noise occurs in every gear when trying to coast. Its not the deceleration noise that many have experienced. I've heard this noise is normal but I'm not convinced. Anyone experiencing the same thing or know anything about it?
Old 02-18-2002, 05:47 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Is the syncro ring really brass? After ruining the first set of syncro rings, I had titanium syncro rings put in my Porsche and they lasted 14 years of HARD driving with out a hitch.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:20 AM

Just one more data point on this. The transmission is much more likely to grind when it's hot than when cold. At least in my car. I had read this and wasn't sure that I believed it until I spent two weeks in the car last May. I had quite a few grinds when the temperature was over 100 degrees in the California desert and they completely went away once I got to Montana, Canada, and the other northern states.

I've since had a different transmission problem and had them fix the 2nd gear grind problem while they were in there. It hasn't been warm enough since for me to be sure the grind is completely fixed, but I should know for sure by about July. I definitely have not had any grinds since the fix, though.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sideways
[B]Is the syncro ring really brass?
Old 02-20-2002, 02:23 PM

I've always had a notchy transmission. After reading the post by Woodwork on the synchros and how to shift, I started to shift slower and smoother instead of being fast and jerky. It helped to stop the "clunk" I was getting when shifting. I have shifted once and did get the 1-2 grind, but I think I was shifting a bit too fast. It's sad that I can't shift as fast as I want to. I think there is an inherrent design flaw in the transmission that Honda really needs to address. I'm sure a lot of people have experienced problems with their tranny, but just aren't coming forward with it. Don't forget, not all S2K owners are on this board.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When my first grind happened, I thought it was me, and me again the second time - I put if off for a few months and then one day, it was as if the syncro's locked and it would grind even at 3000 rpm shifts. Now tell me that the syncro's are having a hard time slowing down the mainshaft at 3k ??

Then the next day everything would be just fine, go figure. Its really quite embarrassing to be cruising down the strip and grinding at every light . . . no really I've been driving stick for years . . .

Face it, we are the R&D crew. I just wish Honda would be just a bit more accepting of these things.

Oh, and whatever they want to call it - the manual says 2nd is just a double cone syncro.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:47 PM

Have an '02, silky smooooove all the time.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by cmnsnse

Oh, and whatever they want to call it - the manual says 2nd is just a double cone syncro.
Jezzzzz.... who looks at the manual.

Well, I just did. I stand corrected. Thanks for catching that. I've not worked on mine, had not read the section on gearboxes. The information I posted was from another source - apparently an incorrect one.
Old 02-21-2002, 02:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I was disappointed it was a double rather than the much claimed triple cone, Heck even reverse has a syncro, I use my old one as a paperweight. Think about this one - when they did the TSB for the grind, they told me it looked like the car was driven very hard - and that the reverse syncro was looking bad enough to replace. Thats prolly cus it never wanted to go into reverse, or maybe its because I would shift into reverse and make the syncro's slow the whole car down! Now THATS engine braking

Im beginning to think I look at that darn manual more than the mechanics . . .

Quick Reply: Gear Grind??? What's the real deal???