S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Gas Tank!

Old 11-24-2004, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else get a premature low fuel light. I get mine and I still have 3-4 gallons left. What's up with that? I took it to the stealership and they said there isn't any adjustment and there was nothing they could do.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by jvrabel,Nov 24 2004, 04:54 AM
Anyone else get a premature low fuel light. I get mine and I still have 3-4 gallons left. What's up with that? I took it to the stealership and they said there isn't any adjustment and there was nothing they could do.
That seems normal. My gas light comes on right around when the last bar goes out. I think its safe to say that you can get an additional 40 miles after the last bar goes off.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:24 AM

Some previous discussions.

The non-linear fuel gauge

Old 11-24-2004, 08:02 AM

260-300 miles on a tank is crazy... I get that on long highway trips if I am lucky. There is no way that you can get those numbers with spirited driving added to the equation. I get 220-240 when driving like an old lady...

Stock and all maintenance done on schedule.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by PrimoAP1,Nov 24 2004, 09:02 AM
260-300 miles on a tank is crazy... I get that on long highway trips if I am lucky. There is no way that you can get those numbers with spirited driving added to the equation. I get 220-240 when driving like an old lady...

Stock and all maintenance done on schedule.
There's no way? Well, I do it almost every single tank. I make about one or two spirited canyon runs a tank and the rest is either highway miles or stop light to stop light city traffic. I also vtec about 3-5 times a day.

It can be done and it is done on a regular basis.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:57 AM

Your idea of spirited may be different from mine than....

Are we talking- top down, smiling, with Kenny G on the radio... Or are you being serious when you say Canyon runs. The lighter side of your mileage I can believe but 300 with "spirited: driving and "vtec 3-5 times daily" =
Old 11-24-2004, 09:00 AM

I got 315 miles on my last tank that avg out to be 28.5 mpg. I have noticed I would get better mpg for 93 gas then 91 gas
Old 11-24-2004, 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=PrimoAP1,Nov 24 2004, 09:57 AM] Your idea of spirited may be different from mine than....

Are we talking- top down, smiling, with Kenny G on the radio...
Old 11-24-2004, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by XbusinessX,Nov 24 2004, 10:16 AM
Yeah thats right I'm totally bullshitting you.

I'm not really sure why I have to explain what "spirited driving" means to another S2K owner, but whatever helps you understand.

I'm talking about serious canyon runs. Yes, I make 1 - 2 a week, yes I vtec 3-5 times a day, and yes I make a 60 mile round trip daily commute for work, plus all of the other miles I put on it during the day making sales calls. So call bs all you want, it just doesn't make sense why I would lie about what kind of miles per tank I get.
Well, if there were an NBS (not BS) flag I would raise that to support you!

I get the same kind of mileage, routinely bumping against or exceeding 300 miles per tank. I have never run out of fuel in 5+ years of S2000 ownership. I do get a little fidgety as I approach 280 mi or so with no bars showing. There is something very disconcerting about having "no fuel" indicated on your dash. But I often consider ~300 mi as my fuel capacity.

I keep mental track of my driving habits during the tank. Obviously if I drive harder I fill up sooner. If I have forgotten how much time I have spent at 9000 RPM I fill up sooner.

Oh, and I scare my passengers when I drive...

Often with hills and curves I will go to no bars, then come back up to one or two bars. I usually know if I have a "false" empty by the mileage.

Of course track days are a different story. I think I get less than 10 MPG on the track.

For my MY2000 there are about 2 to 2.5 gallons of fuel left when the last bar goes out. That's at least 40 miles unless you are on the track or have a hole in something.

Everybody should do what they're comfortable with, and act based on their own experience to PREVENT running out of fuel.*** The only way you learn this stuff is through experience and keeping track of mileage. Most of us have found "the limit" when it comes to fuel by running out of gas. Fortunately I have not done that in the S2K, but I have done it in other cars (not in life-threatening situations).

But XbusinessX is not BS'ing you.

***About once every couple of years somebody gets killed or seriously injured when their car runs out of fuel on one of our long bridges in the SF Bay Area (and somebody hits them.) A few years ago a guy ran out of fuel in his pickup on the Bay Bridge, sat in his seat waiting for help (But had taken his seatbelt off...), a car behind him abruptly switched lanes to go around, and the second car back plowed into him. This threw his vehicle into the side rail where it hit hard and launched him like superman through his windshield OVER the side of the Bay Bridge where he plunged to his death in the cold dark water below.

Obviously don't be doing how-much-gas-is-left-in-my-tank experiments in commute traffic, on a long bridge, in Death Valley in the summer, or in Lake Effect snow in Michigan, etc. etc. Running out of fuel CAN kill you.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:17 AM

I usually get 200-220 miles around town and I drive quite fast. Lot's and lot's of acceleration, top down, AC blowing. Interstate is 250+ up to 300 if I have the top up, no AC, cruising speed.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank!