S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Gas stations

Old 09-19-2005, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know about Costco/Sam's Club gas?

I always used to fill up at Chevron, but when the prices went up, I started going to Costco.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The only companies I have personally "tested" are Chevron, Arco, 76, Shell. By tested I mean using the "standalone" I had in my old Eclipse I looked over a period of time at which gas stations typically showed higher knock ratings. Arco was the worst, consistantly at the exact same boost, fuel, and timing settings 76 and Chevron did better. Shell showed to be ever so slightly worse the Chevron but not by too much. And there was one random tank of Chevron fuel that also went weird...but I didn't count that against everything.

Once I get the EMS set up in the S2000 I'll try and look at similar things with it.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back when I had my Talon I could view/record knock counts on my Datalogger, by far the best gas available in Minnesota is BP/Amoco and its all the Talon ever got and the S ever gets.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by LubedKoala,Sep 17 2005, 07:33 PM
My father owns several gas stations in my area. If its one thing he knows its gas. This information comes from him and I have been using it ever since I drove a car. Couple things many people don't know...

Many gas stations do not have additives in their fuel, like:
7-eleven
quicktrip
citgo
racetrac
diamond shamrock

These gas stations are always alot cheaper than the ones below for this reason. (Less quality, not grade, fuel costs cheaper). The gas stations above are always in one price range, and the ones below are in another.

These gas stations do have those additives that prevent buildup in your injectors and valves:
Texaco
Mobil
Chevron
Shell
Phillips 66
British Petroluem
Conoco

I say this because I see enough people try and take care of their cars, but then they go and put low quality gas in it and wonder why they start experiencing problems down the road. I can sometimes tell when someone puts crap gas in my car, its that bad in my opinion.
I've been using Diamond Shamrock almost exclusively for a number of years now. I put 76k miles on my '88 Chrysler LeBaron, 97k miles on a '94 T-Bird, 77k miles on my '01 Odyssey, 23k miles on my S2000 with no ill effects.

The only car I've had fuel related issues with was the '88 Chrysler mentioned above. For what ever reason, it did not like the local Texaco fuels. I had idling and general driveability issues with Texaco in that car. I'd switch to something else and the problems would go away. No other car I've owned gave me this kind of problem.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:45 AM

The statement that X gas stations do not have additives in their fuel to clean is incorrect. All gas must have a certain level of additives in it to meet federal requirements. That said many of the 'better' gases have additional additives on top of what is required by the federal goverment. Other gases may or may not have some or all of the additional additives.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:37 PM

I've been using Diamond Shamrock almost exclusively for a number of years now. I put 76k miles on my '88 Chrysler LeBaron, 97k miles on a '94 T-Bird, 77k miles on my '01 Odyssey, 23k miles on my S2000 with no ill effects.
I was iffy about the diamond shamrock actually. My dad said its good, but i just don't like it. If you had no problems then it's prolly good. I guess I just have something personal against them
Old 09-21-2005, 12:40 PM

The statement that X gas stations do not have additives in their fuel to clean is incorrect. All gas must have a certain level of additives in it to meet federal requirements. That said many of the 'better' gases have additional additives on top of what is required by the federal goverment. Other gases may or may not have some or all of the additional additives.
Yes that is true. Sorry for the misleading info.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:46 PM

Just so everyone is on the same page here. It's not like your going to cause damage any time soon by going to the "inferior" gas stations. It's not like they put salt in their gas or anything. This is just a post about long-term effects of lower quality gases and knock prevention.

To all who have wives: Women don't tend to care for cars like we do..I hope you get what I'm trying to say here...

*No offense ladies, some of you know what your doing....some of you.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by LubedKoala,Sep 21 2005, 02:37 PM
I was iffy about the diamond shamrock actually. My dad said its good, but i just don't like it. If you had no problems then it's prolly good. I guess I just have something personal against them
Understood.

I started using them with a little trepidation and everything's worked out Ok so far. They tend to be one of the cheaper stations in my area so there's always that motivation. Although, lately, that hasn't been the case. The station I generally use has recently been changed to a Velaro so who know what the deal's going to be now.

Based on my previous experience with my Chrysler and Texaco, I tend to have the same feelings about them as you do about Diamond Shamrock, even though I've never had an issue with them with any other car I've owned. If I've got a choice between Texaco and any other major brand, I'll choose the other brand. Oh well.......

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:58 PM

you left out Sunoco. I'm in the same boat as you my dad owns one gas station and he says the same thing. but you did leave out Sunoco. I been using this sine i could drive i use nothing else.

Quick Reply: Gas stations