S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

gas spilling

Old 05-31-2001, 07:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no i do not top off the gas...
but the last 4 times it has run over anyway-
i have a device that it runs onto and drips on the ground instead of the car, but it is still very annoying! (i have to clean up the gas catcher each time). this last time i even tried filling it slowly (did not squeeze the filler all the way), but that did not work.
anyone else have this problem, or know how to fix it?
Old 05-31-2001, 07:56 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Usually, the trigger clicks when tank is almost full and for most other car, you can squeeze about 1/2 gallon more. But S2k cannot! I usually tell gas service person not to put anymore in or I just stop at first 'click'.

cheers,
Old 05-31-2001, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys not have self-serve in NJ? I wouldn't let a pump jockey near my baby.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The device that detects when your fuel pipe is full is probably in the fuel nozzle, not the car. I say "probably", because I am by no means an expert, just a mechanical engineer. Therefore, I doubt it is a s2k defect, unless you fuel pipe is bent into some awkward position.

Are you filling up at the same pump at the same station each time? Maybe your favorite pump has a bad sensor...

Try using the 87 rated fuel pump right next to the one you're using! (j/k!)

I remember I was putting gas in a rental car in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. There was no finger lock on the pump (so it will pump while you wash the windows or something), so I stuck the gas cap under the trigger instead. Well, the pump didn't have a sensor, so after the tank was full, fuel just started shooting out and pouring down the side of the car. Good thing it was a rental!
Old 05-31-2001, 08:06 AM

No self-serving in NJ, it's the law. I try to wrestle control of the pump from the attendant anyway but sometimes I lose. Some attendant will try to roundup from, say, 13.34 to 14 dollars ! I will tell them to stop at 13.50.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:21 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

no self-serving in NJ. Pay with credit card would avoid filling up to $14.00. Once I had an experience try to squeeze 15 cents more.

cheers,
Old 05-31-2001, 08:39 AM
Rex

The root of the problem is that the filler tube on the S2000 has a vary shallow angle to the tank. There is only an inch or two drop from the end of the pump nozzle to the top of the tank. By the time the tank is full the gas is starting to come up the tube, and it does not have to come up very far.

One of the reasons I did not buy the Audi TT Roadster was that the gascap was on TOP of the fender, and no door over it. So you would be dripping gas on it every time you put gas in it, whether you topped it off or not.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a pic of the fuel pipe (reddish brown tube coming from left of screen). It is at a very shallow angle. Almost horizontal at one point. This is definitely a factor.

I use Chevron pumps, and have never had overspill using their automatic shutoff.
Old 05-31-2001, 09:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like i should try another gas station... will do-
thanks for the tips!
Old 05-31-2001, 09:59 AM

never had a problem at Chevron stations or recently costco. gotta love premium at $2.01/gal. Costco routinely seems to be 20 cents per gallon cheaper than most gas down here in S. OC.

And yes, I know gas is much cheaper in many parts of the US. You can thank our wonderful "reformulated" summer b/s gas for that.

Quick Reply: gas spilling