S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

gas saving tips?

Old 06-26-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed the driving skill/habit seems to matter quite a lot. When I got the car, I used to get very bad mileage. Now I'm getting average with much more downshifting and VTEC. It may have something to do with CAI, TP, Exhaust install + lighter wheels though... but the difference is quite huge.

Anyways, I gave up counting too much mileage. It's really just not that necessary. How much in total are you going to save? I would not sacrifice the fun in driving S just to save some money. There are lots of other places where you can save your $.

Our car is 4 cylinder afterall..... and there are often topics about mileage. I really wonder if other sportscar forums have this too....
Old 06-26-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i save a ton because i DD my car. there are times when its appropriate to push it and other times when you just have to drive normally. anyway, most of the time i'm shifting at 3.5k and i find it satisfying enough
Old 06-26-2008, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is amazing how many people post to this thread and insist that people driving an s2000 should get only 21-22 mpg, and how they lamely put down others that actually have the driving skill to get better gas mileage.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:45 AM

- Ignore redlights
- Ignore roudabouts
- Cut corners
- Pass cars also at right hand side just to not slow down (oh, that's legal in the US isn't it ?)
- Anything to stay at one constant speed....

But I myself rather burn 2 times as much fuel in my S2000 than be driving around in a Hybrid, but hey, that's just me I guess.

And when you do he math of service intervals, new tires, new floor carpets, depreciation etc, the fuel is only a part of the costs....
Old 06-27-2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dutch_Dave,Jun 27 2008, 02:45 AM
- Ignore redlights
- Ignore roudabouts
- Cut corners
- Pass cars also at right hand side just to not slow down (oh, that's legal in the US isn't it ?)
- Anything to stay at one constant speed....

But I myself rather burn 2 times as much fuel in my S2000 than be driving around in a Hybrid, but hey, that's just me I guess.

And when you do he math of service intervals, new tires, new floor carpets, depreciation etc, the fuel is only a part of the costs....
Ah, more "sweet lemon" rationalization (the basic idea is that one converts an apparent liability into a subtle virtue).
Old 06-27-2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by zoomkat,Jun 26 2008, 11:54 PM
It is amazing how many people post to this thread and insist that people driving an s2000 should get only 21-22 mpg, and how they lamely put down others that actually have the driving skill to get better gas mileage.

Just because you drive a car that wasn't intended for the best fuel economy shouldn't mean it's unreasonable for someone to care about trying to maximize the fuel economy of what they have, especially with gas prices rising.

The OP isn't asking how to get 50mpg, he's simply asking how to get better fuel efficiency.

Yes, we all know that the s2k is a drivers car and loves been winded out to redline. But what about in the off time? Nothing wrong with trying to get good gas mileage.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by GT_NFR,Jun 25 2008, 03:36 PM
Driving the car in too tall of a gear won't save gas....if you're out of the power band you're not making efficient use of the engine thus reducing your gas mileage.
There is a difference between HP per Gallon, and Miles per Gallon.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:06 AM

Jesus. Bunch of tree-huggers here.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 PM

My mileage varies between 17 to 30mpg.

Yes, 17 was the lowest I've seen!!!!!!! It was 100% city driving. I do get stuck in city traffic a lot, and the car would sit through the traffic for 20 mins to get through 5 blocks I feel sorry for my engine.

Anyway, enough of blaming on the traffic. I also love downshiting with rev-match, and of course, I get to VTEC from time to time as well That probably robs away from mpg as well.

But then, on the highway, I do get around 30mpg.

I generally accelerate slowly in city driving and shift too early (i.e. 3.5k?) on flat roads, maybe that has to do with my fuel-economy partly. Along with downshift and everything, I definitely am not the most fuel-efficient driver. There are also a lot of hills in the area that I live in. On average, I would say I get around 22mpg with a combination of spirited driving, city driving, highway driving, hilly driving and my shifting habits.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Project22a,Jun 27 2008, 10:53 AM

Just because you drive a car that wasn't intended for the best fuel economy shouldn't mean it's unreasonable for someone to care about trying to maximize the fuel economy of what they have, especially with gas prices rising.

The OP isn't asking how to get 50mpg, he's simply asking how to get better fuel efficiency.

Yes, we all know that the s2k is a drivers car and loves been winded out to redline. But what about in the off time? Nothing wrong with trying to get good gas mileage.
thank you for understanding my original post and not being a smart ass like everyone over here. im sorry that im still young and have a part time job and cant work as much as id like to finish paying everything off because id rather go to school and finish with a good education.

Quick Reply: gas saving tips?