S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

gas saving tips?

Old 06-25-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

drive slower...
Old 06-25-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You bought a sports car and want it to sip the fuel? Yeah, I think a Fit or a Civic is what you should have bought.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's some of my secrets
- draft behind trucks on highways
- remove spare and dead weight
- fill tank only halfway, no sense lugging around a full tank
- in Toronto, there is a website that will tell us the next day's gas price so I plan around that
- stick with 16" wheels, properly inflated
Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IF mainly highway driving, inflate tires to 34 pounds. This decraeses rolling resistance and will improve milage. I'm counting on the theory that an extra two pounds will not adversly affect handling nor cause any reliability issues with the tires. In fact handling will be slightly quicker but to use the phrase "better", someone more knowing than I would have to answer.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People always ask me how I get 35mpg, and on average, 30. The key is NOT using a higher gear. Cruising in 6th at 30mph might *sound* like a good idea, but since the S2000 has so little torque, the engine has to work harder to maintain momentum, thus using more gas. You can try it by riding a bike on the highest gear at slow speeds...it's bloody tough.

The key to awesome MPG is LIGHT throttle. RPMs don't matter. Also, when you can, lay off the throttle completely. If you see a light ahead of you is turning red, just let go of the gas, and while in gear, cruise towards it. That entire distance is "free" as the s2000 uses 0 gas when coasting in gear.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I own an S and a Civic hybrid and when I'm not flogging the S I drive it similarly to my Civic. Here's what I've done to achieve 50+mpg on the Civic and around 30mpg in the S.

Don't accelerate when you know you're just going to have to brake soon, ie in a 35-40 zone in a neighborhood.
Use enough gas to maintain a constant speed or drive just under the speed limit if you can.

All those other tips are good too, but seriously, if you own an S you gotta pay to play.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:47 AM

Accelerate like a granny, time lights, slap yourself every time you use the brakes (brakes = gas that was wasted on unncessary acceleration) drive top up with the AC off and the windows rolled all the way up. Draft behind trucks, cruise with the car in neutral and the engine turned off. Only park in spots which you can drive out toward the exit rather than backing out (wasted gas). Over inflate the tires to decrease rolling resistance, walk or ride a bike to things less than a few miles away.

After doing all this realize having the S when your only obsession is getting gas mileage is ridiculous. You'll still only be getting 30mpg and won't be enjoying the experience. Sell the S and pick up a Prius or econo box. Continue same driving habits getting 50+ mpg.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:58 AM

i recently took a 1300 mile round trip to maine and got 22mpg on the way there with the top up the whole way. that was with a lot of beating on the car. on the way back i had the top down for half the trip and used very light throttle most of the time and i averaged 27 mpg. i am turbo too
Old 06-26-2008, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by S2K Type R,Jun 25 2008, 08:12 PM
Here's some of my secrets
- draft behind trucks on highways
- remove spare and dead weight
- fill tank only halfway, no sense lugging around a full tank
- in Toronto, there is a website that will tell us the next day's gas price so I plan around that
- stick with 16" wheels, properly inflated
and with his secrets, you get:

-tons of rock chips and other things hitting the front of your car. cost to re-paint and the pain in the arse of fixing a crack in your windshield will quickly make this an undesirable option.
-more fillups for maybe a savings of a fraction of 1mpg? not worth my time.
-at this point, paying $4.28 or $4.32 for premium really doesn't make a difference in the bill. if you're buying 10 gallons, you just saved yourself $0.40. whooptie. if tomorrow's gas price dropped to $3.20, then yeah, you'd start saving $10/fillup, but everyone knows that won't happen.

you bought a sports car and you want to drive it like a civic. kind of sad. i get about 22mpg in the city and 29 on the highway, and that's perfectly acceptable for me with this car.

also, driving 40mph in 6th gear does not lug the engine, but it certainly doesn't leave the car in its optimal range for acceleration. however, it appears you want to save gas everywhere, so i would recommend that you leave it in 6th when you're on flat ground and keeping a steady speed of about 40mph or faster.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:49 AM

Yes, don't put in it neutral when coming to a stop or slowing down. This burns more gas.

I find this to be a very good write up on some tips to save gas. It's focused for DSMs but there are also some other good tips. Save Gas

Quick Reply: gas saving tips?