S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

gas saving tips?

Old 07-06-2008, 05:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lookup the chemistry for the various winter blends, it's a simple matter of less energy content per gallon. Those blends can contain up to 10% of various oxygenating agents, and it directly translates into a reduction in energy content and MPG. If you know what agents are used, you can compute the loss (obviously it will be between 0-10%).

A similar issue happens when they start blending in ethanol -- per volume, it has about 34% less energy content than gasoline, so if you take the fraction of ethanol and multiply by 0.34, you'll get the approximate reduction in MPG compared to straight gas. For instance, E85 gives ~ 5% drop in MPG, all else equal.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skier219,Jul 6 2008, 05:38 PM
Lookup the chemistry for the various winter blends, it's a simple matter of less energy content per gallon. Those blends can contain up to 10% of various oxygenating agents, and it directly translates into a reduction in energy content and MPG. If you know what agents are used, you can compute the loss (obviously it will be between 0-10%).

A similar issue happens when they start blending in ethanol -- per volume, it has about 34% less energy content than gasoline, so if you take the fraction of ethanol and multiply by 0.34, you'll get the approximate reduction in MPG compared to straight gas. For instance, E85 gives ~ 5% drop in MPG, all else equal.
yea, only benefit to ethanol in winter mixture is the dissipation in water droplets in the fuel system and it lowers the freezing point of water. other than that, it's useless. they dont burn as readily as gasoline, so it doesnt give any benefit towards getting better mpg.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 AM

drop your car at grannys house and borrow her/his car instead and at the end of the day, pay fill the car with petrol you have used up!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shift before 3500 rpm. Set the cruise control on the highway at 60.

My personal best 31.4 mpg with about 70% hwy driving.

That being said I could never torture myself like that again.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I find it funny how people come with general questions on how to get better mileage and morons come out who put them down.

It's as if a bunch of fatties were making fun of someone who wanted to eat out but make sure he/she had enough veggies with their meal.

It seems a common, ignorant theme with most internet dialogue. I believe it stems from the self centered nature of internet communication.

OP - I've found shifting before 3K and being light on the throttle allow me to get between 22-32mpg depending on the type of driving. More freeway, better mpg. City is going to throw your figures. Cruising in 6th at 50mph gets the best mpg.

My car is my DD but I don't drive it much during the week. On longer trips it's all about speed. I use cruise and find I will net a better mpg than without.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:34 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

My personal best on the freeway is 33mpg. And I achieved that number while driving between 80-95 mph. The key was that I was driving together with a group of cars and usually wasn't the car in front. You don't need to be super close to another car to get significant fuel savings. They recently demonstrated this on Mythbusters, it definitely works. You can usually tell yourself if you're driving with the top down, you can tell a difference in turbulence around your head (if you're tall like me) as well as from the wind noise.

That was an extreme case though, on the highway I usually get 27-29mpg going 75-80. My daily commute is 40/60 city/highway and I average around 22-24mpg.

Which is all fine with me. I just wish the fuel indicator wouldn't drop like a rock when its down to 4-5 bars. I also wish the fuel light wouldn't come on so damn early (3 gallons left, what the hell man?!)

As far as driving technique, I'm of the mind that you should accelerate quickly with a large throttle opening and short shifting (as others have mentioned in this thread). I also coast in gear when I know I'll have to slow down or stop ahead.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2,Jan 27 2010, 11:27 AM
I find it funny how people come with general questions on how to get better mileage and morons come out who put them down.

It's as if a bunch of fatties were making fun of someone who wanted to eat out but make sure he/she had enough veggies with their meal.

It seems a common, ignorant theme with most internet dialogue. I believe it stems from the self centered nature of internet communication.

OP - I've found shifting before 3K and being light on the throttle allow me to get between 22-32mpg depending on the type of driving. More freeway, better mpg. City is going to throw your figures. Cruising in 6th at 50mph gets the best mpg.

My car is my DD but I don't drive it much during the week. On longer trips it's all about speed. I use cruise and find I will net a better mpg than without.
I find it funny that people like you buy a sports car (that gets great gas mileage) and drive it like a little old lady so that you can eke out a couple more MPG's.

You should have bought a Prius.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson,Jan 27 2010, 10:51 AM
I find it funny that people like you buy a sports car (that gets great gas mileage) and drive it like a little old lady so that you can eke out a couple more MPG's.

You should have bought a Prius.
Wow. Just... wow.

Personally I only drive mine on weekends and then I drive the snot out of it, mileage be damned. But far be it from me to criticize someone who wants to improve their mileage on their daily drive, especially if they can only afford the money or space to have one car for all tasks. You're going to have no less fun on your traffic-limited commute getting 30 MPG compared to 18 MPG. In fact, maximizing mileage is the BEST way to have fun when traffic limits your ability to drive quickly. It's a completely different challenge, and one that very few people have the skill set to do well.

Why rain on their parade, regardless of the car they drive to work? Are you going to piss on sedan drivers for not carrying five people on every drive?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

[QUOTE=Woodson,Jan 27 2010, 11:51 AM]I find it funny that people like you buy a sports car (that gets great gas mileage) and drive it like a little old lady so that you can eke out a couple more MPG's.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2,Jan 27 2010, 12:16 PM
You can take this very limited view of it. Then you can say the same to anyone who upgrades the motor for more HP. Why not tell them they're stupid and go buy a GTR or insert more powerful Japanese sports car?

Why not state this to someone who lowers their car?

You see my point? It's all the same. Why? Because it's not what YOU are doing with YOUR car. Your position is incredibly ignorant, self serving and down right stupid.

Great gas mileage is 70-110mpg. Anything less is a failure to advance. You clearly know nothing on the fuel trends of western society. Flat for the last 30 years. And in the last 5 years have drop in fleet mpg.

FYI the Prius on net is not more efficient it just transfers the cost of burning the fuel to the battery which has a two fold cost. Replacement and the impact of refining the additional materials to get a battery from Sudbury to Japan, back to the US.

You off all people should be aware of the cost, paid by Canadian citizens for both the mining of metal and tar sand oil. You shouldn't have to go far to see the cost you'll be paying in 20 years. When all that tar sand waste gets into your drinking water and the folks in Albert are dropping like flies from poisoned water.

All that matters is someone is having fun with THEIR car. You're certainly not in any position to tell them how to use their car and they don't have to use it like you do.

Don't respond to my post, you're an idiot.

Quick Reply: gas saving tips?