S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

gas milege

Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas milege

i have a 02 s2k and i always put in 91 or 92 rating. my car on a half A tank runs about 75 80 miles. is this normal? i drive my car pretty steady, are they supposed to get better mpg or is this normal for you guys also (and girs) thanks
Old 04-25-2008, 08:45 AM

well to me that seems low. i have also researched this "ethanol" theory... Ya gas prices are up and the gas stations recently started using ethanol where a we used to always have methanol... methanol doesnt take so much to burn at a certain BTU where ethanol it takes more to get to the proper BTU to burn. we pay more money these days for less gas mileage is what i am getting at. if you have BP gas station near you drive til you are almost out of gas...go to the BP and fill half tank then let me know the results if it is better. BP and Chevron i believe are the last couple stations that dont use ethanol they still use methanol additives.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how are you running your car and do you have gas flowing out of your tank?!?! seriously? i get 200 miles for my half tank.... dude there must be something wrong.........
Old 04-25-2008, 08:47 AM

thsi methanol thing keep in mind but THAT IS NOT your problem you def are either redlining EVERYWHERE u go or something is not correct in the fuel system.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by s2kbenztech,Apr 25 2008, 08:45 AM
well to me that seems low. i have also researched this "ethanol" theory... Ya gas prices are up and the gas stations recently started using ethanol where a we used to always have methanol... methanol doesnt take so much to burn at a certain BTU where ethanol it takes more to get to the proper BTU to burn. we pay more money these days for less gas mileage is what i am getting at. if you have BP gas station near you drive til you are almost out of gas...go to the BP and fill half tank then let me know the results if it is better. BP and Chevron i believe are the last couple stations that dont use ethanol they still use methanol additives.
THANKYOU! s2kbenztech, i have theorized this for a long long time this is the main reason why i've gone to only chevron to fill up my gas. i HAVE notice a significant (1-2mpg) difference in my gas milage when filling up at chevron vs filling up with shell. i'm glad to see that i'm not the only one that's noticed this. i think its true, ethanol makes you get less mpg's
Old 04-25-2008, 08:53 AM

i only drive in the city, im gonna fill my gas tank and drive on full tank and see what it adds upto in the end? i never redline the car. i wonder what it could be
Old 04-25-2008, 08:57 AM

well you can syupposedly see a UP TO (i love that phrase) !)% difference between ethanol and methanol in mpg's. and you sure arent the only one that has noticed i get customer complaints for gas mileage here at work and there is no fix for that and customres who buy $100,000 mercedes arent very happy haha
Old 04-25-2008, 09:53 AM

^lmao... yes, let me complain about my $100k benz getting shitty milage.
1-2 mpg is around the neighborhood of 10% difference between ethanol and non ethanol gas, i would say that this would be a conclusive finding. i could do a repeated study if theres a dispute
Old 04-25-2008, 10:20 AM

ya you should hear these customers it is really funny... its like im sorry you dont have money for gas cause you just spent $100,000 on your damn car!!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by yurchikrlg,Apr 25 2008, 08:05 AM
a half A tank runs about 75 80 miles. is this normal?
Depends on whether you mean the top half or the bottom half. The top half in my MY02 and even more so in my MY07 goes a lot farther than the bottom half. I can drive like 150-170 miles before the guage reads half full and the bottom half goes fast. The only way to really figure out your mileage is to get a full tank. I can get up to 26 mpg if I drive it like it's a Civic. Normal with some VTEC'ing is around 22-23. I use Chevron, Arco sometimes, and Shell.

Quick Reply: gas milege