S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

gas cap question

Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default gas cap question

Is it okay if I leave my gas cap off over night? It won't harm my car in anyway? I heard that removing the gascap for at least 2 hours reduces the fuel pressure, is this true? I'm going to tap my fuel feed line tomorrow to get an extra fuel line. So will It be okay when I wake up in the morning?

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

it wont do anything, you'll be fine. worst thing is it runs like a sub par tank of gas.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lopez14
Is it okay if I leave my gas cap off over night? It won't harm my car in anyway? I heard that removing the gascap for at least 2 hours reduces the fuel pressure, is this true? I'm going to tap my fuel feed line tomorrow to get an extra fuel line. So will It be okay when I wake up in the morning?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by s2cho
it wont do anything, you'll be fine. worst thing is it runs like a sub par tank of gas.
WOW! Listen to this kind of information and you'll grow hair on your palms.
Think about what the gas cap does. HINT: Emissions control - fuel vapor recovery.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:48 AM

Received 419 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by haywoodjablome
Originally Posted by lopez14' timestamp='1352255274' post='22134349

Thanks!

Think about what the gas cap does. HINT: Emissions control - fuel vapor recovery.
WUT?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be fine lol, fuel vapor recovery....
Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

You will be fine. If you drive the car without the cap however, the CEL will light up because the emissions system will detect it is off.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:06 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Just bear in mind that ethanol based fuels are highly hydroscopic (attract moisture) so It will draw moisture into the tank. Otherwise no problem.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

He's trying to bleed off fuel pressure so he can tap into the fuel line for another feed. Leaving the gas cap off won't do it. He needs to loosen the fuel damper on the fuel rail and soak up the fuel with a rag.
BTW, leaving the gas cap off only equalizes the pressure/vacuum in the tank with atmosphere. That takes less than a second. Leaving it off for 1 second or 1 hour or 1 day or 1 month does the same thing. You can drive the car as normal with the cap off. The car will drive as normal but with a CEL code P1456.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he can also remove pressure by removing the fuel pump fuse and cranking the engine.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by haywoodjablome
Originally Posted by lopez14' timestamp='1352255274' post='22134349

Thanks!

all gas tanks have a metal flap which does not create a solid seal but will keep the gas from going bad under reasonable amounts of time. HINT: the amount of vapor coming out the tank will be determined by the pressure inside the tank. so you have hairy palms huh? "WOW! Listen to this kind of information and you'll grow hair on your palms." your info is bad not mine.

Quick Reply: gas cap question