S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

G2 Red Caliper Paint came out HORRIFIC... is this normal?????

Old 04-01-2003, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G2 Red Caliper Paint came out HORRIFIC... is this normal?????

Just got my car back, and had my calipers painted red and supplied the g2 paint. Well the finished product is not what I was expecting by any means. There are poc marks, looks like where the calipers are a bit porus paint did not really fill in, there is some dark areas where metal actually shows through the paint, and some areas is looks like the paint went on real thin. The shop said they spent 3+ hrs on them and did as the directions asked. If this is normal and I am being anal I am sorry but just not what I expected at all..... help... any suggestions to fix, remedy, or if anyone can email me some pics close ups of G2 painted calipers, real close ups...... should I buy more paint and do a touch up and re paint the front of the calipers where it can bee seen? help..... Thanks all
Old 04-01-2003, 11:01 AM

i know many people who have done this, and never had problems.....i would just touch it up with the same paint...dont buy other stuff, the color may not match.....otherwise, just put a few more coats on!
Old 04-01-2003, 11:13 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

I just painted my calipers red last week with G2, and they came out great. I'm pretty meticulous, and I can see why you have to be really nitpicky to do a good job. I intentionally waited for a day that was warm enough. It was in the 60's the day I did it. After two coats, there were still a few spots that didn't completely cover, and I had to go over them a third time. It took me about 3 hours as well. As time passed, the epoxy paint became thicker, which made it easier to cover those areas. I used a high intensity floodlamp close-up to scrutinize my work, since it is easy to not get enough coverage on an area if you are depending on ambient light.

After three hours, the paint was more like the consistency of heavy maple syrup. Everything I retouched at that point smoothed out really nice. But if they just went over it twice without scrutinizing the finish, then you will be disappointed.

'Sorry to hear they turned out like that. You may want to consider buying some more, and touching it up. Better yet, find someone else that's doing theirs, and bum some off of them. There's probably enough in one package to do two cars. Because it is an epoxy paint system, the stuff is no good after it sets up.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:50 PM

I bought some brake caliper paint and it totally sucks. The paint started chipping within a few weeks. I recoat it every month or it starts to look terrible.