S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

A future classic....?

Old 05-11-2014, 05:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A future classic....?

Do you all think the S2000 is becoming a classic?

How long till you guys think the prices are going to skyrocket and go back up into the 30s and possibly higher?
I know for a fact that a mint CR will be worth a whole lot more than a "standard" S.

Will it be like the E30? Where the M3 is a rare gem and 325s, 318s are the cheapest ones?

What about aftermarket? Do you guys think certain companies like Inlinepro, berk, challenge and such are going to stop developing stroker kits, tops, and exhausts?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They showed an SSM AP1 on the Mecum auction in Indy Saturday morning. Looked stock but had black painted AP1 wheels. Don't know of they showed it actually being auctioned, but it was on camera several times. It was interesting to see... they had it right next to an older Ferrari. They did show a 91 NSX being auctioned off and the announcers (especially Steve Matchette) had nothing but good things to say about it.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:13 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121
Do you all think the S2000 is becoming a classic?
Probably, but it's a question of when, and to what degree.

Desirable specification, and not all that many made (and a high % of those apparently wrecked).

Might turn out to be the Austin-Healey BJ8 of it's generation.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:42 AM

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,025 Posts

It will be a classic and sold at big name auctions when I am dead. It will be a "classic" in the classic sense when the twenty somethings are in their fifties.
Its a classic for me now.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it will become a classic however not for about 5-8 more years. The issue around classics almost always revolves around modified versus stock. I believe the most value will be in (no particular order):
- any professionally modified S with enviable performance specs,
- a decent CR,
- a low mileage completely stock S2000, ideally year 2000.
Of course there are always folk interested in ANY S2000 but it is going to be some time from now before you see that reflected in the purchase price, I believe.
Another asset of this car is it's low-fuel-consumption-to-fun-ratio! As fuel prices continue to rise, so will the "Wow factor" in the S!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazycanuck
I think it will become a classic however not for about 5-8 more years. The issue around classics almost always revolves around modified versus stock. I believe the most value will be in (no particular order):
- any professionally modified S with enviable performance specs,
- a decent CR,
- a low mileage completely stock S2000, ideally year 2000.
Of course there are always folk interested in ANY S2000 but it is going to be some time from now before you see that reflected in the purchase price, I believe.
Another asset of this car is it's low-fuel-consumption-to-fun-ratio! As fuel prices continue to rise, so will the "Wow factor" in the S!
I do agree the CR will skyrocket and a clean stock s2k of any year will be desirable. Basic OEM+ type mods probably won't detract from the value, but desirable parts are likely to get your more money sold separately from the car. I don't think your first bullet is true unless there is some racing pedigree to go along with it or it's built by Spoon, J's or similar. Hacked sheet metal (body kits, flared fenders, etc) will likely kill value.

I just looked online for local s2k sales around me. Low mileage AP2's are retailing > $25k.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is pure simple economics supply and demand. Obviously the CR will be up there, given its lack of supply and in the future, overwhelming demand...

The AP1 is cheaper now and the younger generation can get a hold of them, which means more will be riced out and/or crash. I believe there are more AP2's made than the AP1?

On the contrary the AP2 is still relative expensive and from my own observation, still out of reach of many, especially those made 2007 up. So this comes down to which type we are more in 10-20 years and whichever has lesser number will most likely be considered rare or in this case, classic.

In my opinion though, any car can be classic as long as you take good care of it and conserve its original state. The only debate left is then, how long will it take to become a classic. Deep inside we know the S2000 will stay for it being Honda's 50th Anniversary, its reliability, NA non-hybrid engine, low and classic 90's design etc.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it the car in general will be considered a classic. Will all of them be considered classics? Not likely. It'll largely depend on how well they're maintained and what mods, if any were done. A completely original (paint, matching VINs, etc...) in good condition is something I see easily becoming a classic and coveted by enthusiasts. I'm sure mileage will factor in too.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazycanuck
The issue around classics almost always revolves around modified versus stock.
Good point. The poorly-modded ones will be on Craigslist in 20 years, insane prices and no takers... month after month.

By the way, that means hang onto that OEM intake and exhaust you were going to discard, put in the attic because one day it will be worth a lot.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:32 AM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Hunterangel - sounds like you're thinking of an S2000 as a moneymaker.

IMHO by the time it "skyrockets' anywhere it will be 20yrs down the road and the return on investment MAY be better than the same money in sound investments.

However, relative to other sports cars of similar performance it is a great investment.

We were looking at Boxsters at dealers when I test drove a recently traded s2000.

IMHO a 100k mile, cared for S2k is a viable purchase while a 100k mile Boxster is a scary proposition ( at least for me)

Quick Reply: A future classic....?