S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Fuel Gauge, and Seat-belt tensioner

Old 07-24-2015, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge, and Seat-belt tensioner

Wondering if others experience this in their S2000's, and if so, is there a fix? In my case, this is a 2007.

1. Once I get down to an indicated 1/4 left on the fuel gauge, the bars disappear much more quickly than the previous 3/4 of the tank. I typically start noticing it when I'm at 280'ish miles on a tank of gas. From that point until empty, the bars drop down to none so quickly its as if I was already at 1/10th of a tank. Does that make sense? Basically, I think my fuel gauge reads inaccurately high when I get towards the bottom of the tank. Due to this, I gauge my tanks fullness on how many miles left till 330 miles on the tank, beyond which I don't dare driving without a fill-up.

2. The seat-belt tensioner is infuriating on this car. I'd go so far as to say its downright dangerous. Specifically, when I need to merge onto my most frequently used highway, its an uphill right-hander ramp with an extremely short merge lane into 70mph traffic. What makes it worse, right past the end of the merge lane is the exit for another major byway, so many cars are cutting across multiple lanes to get to the exit. You have to be careful merging here, and with the S's horrible rearward visibility I'm craning my neck to check the blindspot. But I'm doing this as I'm accelerating to merge, and the f'ing seat-belt tensioner ALWAYS locks up as I pull my body forward so I can look back over my left shoulder. I need to sit back quick and then sit up again to get the look I need.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MY05 fuel guage is exactly as you described. I'm wondering if this is normal for these cars. Like you I also go by mileage....
Old 07-26-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Its normal for these cars...
Old 07-26-2015, 11:46 AM

Both things are normal. If you want good rear view disability, put the top down. Merging = no problem
Old 07-26-2015, 01:09 PM

Thanks folks. I might get an OEM hardtop just for the visibility gain.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by S2K Al
Wondering if others experience this in their S2000's, and if so, is there a fix? In my case, this is a 2007.

1. Once I get down to an indicated 1/4 left on the fuel gauge, the bars disappear much more quickly than the previous 3/4 of the tank. I typically start noticing it when I'm at 280'ish miles on a tank of gas. From that point until empty, the bars drop down to none so quickly its as if I was already at 1/10th of a tank. Does that make sense? Basically, I think my fuel gauge reads inaccurately high when I get towards the bottom of the tank. Due to this, I gauge my tanks fullness on how many miles left till 330 miles on the tank, beyond which I don't dare driving without a fill-up.

2. The seat-belt tensioner is infuriating on this car. I'd go so far as to say its downright dangerous. Specifically, when I need to merge onto my most frequently used highway, its an uphill right-hander ramp with an extremely short merge lane into 70mph traffic. What makes it worse, right past the end of the merge lane is the exit for another major byway, so many cars are cutting across multiple lanes to get to the exit. You have to be careful merging here, and with the S's horrible rearward visibility I'm craning my neck to check the blindspot. But I'm doing this as I'm accelerating to merge, and the f'ing seat-belt tensioner ALWAYS locks up as I pull my body forward so I can look back over my left shoulder. I need to sit back quick and then sit up again to get the look I need.

If you think the seat belt tensioner is malfunctioning wouldn't this be covered under the seat belt's lifetime warranty? You might want to check with Honda to confirm this.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:15 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Due to this, I gauge my tanks fullness on how many miles left till 330 miles on the tank,
330? Clearly you aren't driving the car hard enough. I kid, I kid. But yeah, I only get that kind of mileage out of a tank when I'm babying it or driving freeways for extended periods of time.

It's pretty much an accepted part of life with this car that the second half of a tank drops quicker than the first half if you only judge by the fuel gauge.

I can't really comment about your seatbelt tensioner. Hopefully others have ideas or recommendations. Sounds to me like it's doing its job, but I'm not driving your car so it's hard for me to say.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:02 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

2. The seat-belt tensioner is infuriating on this car.
+1 but for a different reason. The S2000 has joined the ranks of all the other cars I've owned that, if kept long enough, the retractor will begin to fail. Currently in the feed-the-belt-into-the-retractor mode. I was hoping a Honda product would avoid this. Nope.