S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Front License Plate - California

Old 07-02-2001, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never had a front plate on any of my cars in more than 14 years of driving in CA. Sadly, I've had a few speeding tickets in that time but I haven't ever been spotted for the plate. As recently as two weekends ago, my fiancee and I were stopped in one of the routine DUI checks in Irvine. The cop had alot of questions about my car but thantkfully, it was because he seemed to be an enthusiast.

Of all the questions, nothing about the lack of front plate

The officer told us to have fun, keep it reasonable and keep the shiny side up!!
Old 07-02-2001, 07:53 AM

I live near the Culver City area and the cops are jerks about stupid $hit in that area. They normally give tickets for no front plate. I have my front plate on and my beautiful silver machine still looks gorgeous.

Old 07-02-2001, 10:59 AM

You can usually get away with having no front license plate, but it really depends on what area you drive in. THe cops in Culver City and Beverly Hills really enforce that law. It's mainly because both cities have photo radar. I used to work in Culver City and decided to put the front plate on.
Old 07-02-2001, 11:08 AM

Yeah, MarkS2K, I did avoid at least one ticket here in San Diego because I didn't have a front plate and I was a little late getting through a photo-enforced traffic light (only because the traffic was backed up and I got stuck).

I've been driving in Beverly Hills several times in the past few months, but only once was I in the Honda. Come to think of it, the Jag doesn't have a front plate, either. Guess I've just been lucky. (Knocking on wood again!)
Old 07-02-2001, 12:39 PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Basketball player Stephon Marbury, traded days earlier from New Jersey to Phoenix, was pulled over and ticketed for driving with a suspended license. Marbury, 24, was driving in New York just before midnight Saturday when officers noticed that his 2001 Ferrari had no registration sticker or front license plate, police said.

They then found Marbury's license was suspended.
He was ticketed and was to appear in court later.

The star point guard was traded to the Suns on
Thursday for Jason Kidd.
Old 07-02-2001, 12:51 PM

I saw a local news story where they were interviewing a cop about front plates. He said that they can't pull you over just for missing a front plate unless it's at a check-point or for another reason. I don't think it qualifies as probable cause.

I've had my front plate off for the last year and haven't had any trouble. I haven't gotten a photo-enforced ticket either!!! It's well worth the fix-it ticket, IMHO.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:04 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by calc
[B]I haven't had a front plate on any car I've registered in California since the Morris Minor I owned in '64 and I've never had a ticket or had it questioned, even when I was stopped for some other alleged infraction.
Old 07-03-2001, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by tagheuer
california law changed in regard to having no front plate. it is no longer a $10-15 fix-a-ticket. it is now a $76 ticket.
that's odd.
i got a $10 fix-it ticket just the other week in SF for no front plate. of course - if i had no fixed it it would have been $76 so you could call it a $76 no fix-it if you wanted to.
Old 07-03-2001, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by WhiteRocket
I saw a local news story where they were interviewing a cop about front plates. He said that they can't pull you over just for missing a front plate unless it's at a check-point or for another reason. I don't think it qualifies as probable cause.
from personal experience this is not true.
i was pulled over while stopped at a stop sign and ticketed for no front plate.
Old 07-07-2001, 08:29 PM

Talking about front plates, I have decided not to have one. I have owned 7 cars so far and never had it. I got caught once (I live in So. Cal). No big deal.

In anycase, any recommendation on what I can do to make the front plate area look good after I take the ugly black plastic plate holder?

Also, does anyone know where I can get some nice license holder screws (screw size and where would be nice).

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Front License Plate - California