S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

the front license plate bracket/holder...what a crock!

Old 08-26-2002, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the front license plate bracket/holder...what a crock!

Well, my s2k never came with a front license plate bracket, you know, the big black plastic apparatus that holds your license plate and mounts to your front bumper. I bought my car in oregon and live in california so I never bothered trying to get one, besides I dont' put on a front plate anyway. Well, recent front license plate tickets on my other car has made me want to put one on. So I went to San Francisco Honda thinking that those front license plates brackets are just laying around and that I could just "pick on up" or perhaps pay a few bucks for one.

So I go up to the parts counter and asked about it and the guy had to go into the thick parts manual and look up a bunch of stuff and type a bunch of stuff in the computer and then tells me its $64.95. I'm thinking WTF!????!!!!! Its just a friggin' license plate bracket!

So instead I took some free bolts so I can screw the license plate directly into the factory holes. But is this right? Is that plastic bracket suppose to be that expensive? I thought dealers just gave those away for free!?
Old 08-26-2002, 03:28 PM

All cars come with these so you should call the dealer you originally bought your car from and have them send it to you. If they end up keeping all of these off of the cars they sell then they should have a bunch laying around to send you one.

Mark
Old 08-26-2002, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's supposed to come with the car, since california cars are required by law to have a front plate. did you buy it out of state? my s2k came with it, although i hate it and never put it on.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:29 PM

Hey red,I bet if ya ask real nice somebody would give/sell you one they don't use.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wickerbill
[B]All cars come with these so you should call the dealer you originally bought your car from and have them send it to you.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I will bet he could trade for it. Bummper plugs for License plate holder?
Old 08-26-2002, 05:36 PM

Probably costs so much because it is specially designed for the relatively rare S2000.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:53 PM

I would be wary of just "screwing" the plate on the front bumber holes. I think it might somewhere down the line cause paint to chip around the factory holes from the screw vibrating. I think you should wait for a license bracket or just puit your front license on your front windshield. And i think that is pretty expensive for a front license bracket.. if you want one, i'll send you mine. ( never been used). PM me.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:59 PM

oh, its not just the s2k's

I asked him for one for my other car, which is a '94 prelude...and that one is $50! again, what a crock

I bought my s2k in oregon, the dealer said it was in the trunk but I didn't bother to check...when I got home to CA, i didn't find it but didn't bother asking for it because I figured I'd never put on a front plate...of course, its been over a year and a half since I bought the car so I'm not going to go back and ask for it now.
Old 08-27-2002, 04:33 AM

Originally posted by redleader
its been over a year and a half since I bought the car so I'm not going to go back and ask for it now.
Why not? You have nothing to lose. Explain the situation and at least you might be able to get it cheaper. Have you tried www.handaaccessories.com ?

Mark

Quick Reply: the front license plate bracket/holder...what a crock!