S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Freakin battery is dead again! ERRR!

Old 01-28-2003, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freakin battery is dead again! ERRR!

Damn, I can't go two days without using the car before the freakin' battery is dead. Probably frozen. It's been below zero here for about 7-8 days now. Tried to go out earlier today to start it and run 'er awhile and nada...just the usual clicks of death. Jumped it once a week ago, looks like it needs another. I'm wondering if it will do any good to simply bring the battery up to the apartment if I plan on going a few days without using the car. What say?
Old 01-28-2003, 12:02 PM

both cars in my garage and one of the cars in my driveway all had dead batteries at the same time the other day... it was about the funniest thing that ever happened to me (car related). We had to push them all so that we could jump them one at a time.

the cold weather really finishes off any batteries that are on the edge.

matt
Old 01-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how old is your car?
did you check the battery "eye"? (it should indicate whether the battery is charged or not)
yes, might be a good idea to take the battery (maybe the whole car) in your house to keep it warm...
or install a block heater.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Russ, if you aren't driving the car on a regular basis, may I suggest a battery tender? I got one for my car which sat for nearly 3 months. Best investment I could have made.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:12 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Do you keep the car in a garage or outside? Mine is in a unheated garage and so far has been holding the charge ok. I know our suzukas are about the same age, and climate, maybe you have a bad cell in the battery.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

take your car to get the battery tested at sears or something to make sure it's holding the charge (ignoring the weather conditions). Or you can just move south....Can't beat the 80 degree weather we're having these days here in San Diego.

David
Old 01-28-2003, 01:08 PM

i think honda fully warranties a battery for two years right?
maybe u should have them look at it
Old 01-28-2003, 01:18 PM

The car is a year old and even in these temps, I've never had a battery die out on me so soon into its life. Last year, I went 12 days without running the Camaro SS this time of year and it started up fine. The indicator says "no charge" or at least it appears all I'm seeing is a red mark in the middle. It is stored, however, outside and run only about 2x/week for 20 minutes or so. Probably I should just see if Honda can check it out or buy a newbie Sears battery.
As for the battery tender, what is this Dan and where can I get it?
Thanks!
Old 01-28-2003, 01:39 PM

Once the battery goes dead and then the car gets jump started, you will need to run the car really hard, or for a long period of time for the battery to get fully charged. I think your battery's fine. Just make sure it's fully charged before you leave the car not driven for a few days.

Or, take the battery to get fully charged up at an auto supply store.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:40 PM

Don't they have something like a gel battery? I'm not to familiar with it, but I've heard about it before. Maybe that can solve the frozen battery problem?

Quick Reply: Freakin battery is dead again! ERRR!