S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Found some MAJOR info on our DIFF's

Old 04-02-2001, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by G1S2k
[B]ok....you call them and ask..call and ask for technical.
Old 04-02-2001, 05:09 PM

Calm down fellas, the diff parts are in FACT made and assembled by Mazda, and it's not a problem with the parts, it's the fit. Anyone remember the last gen RX-7? Petit and Peter Ferell Racing have them to 800hp with the EXACT same diff. The only reason anyone is having problems with this particular aspect of the diff is because it is not made in-house.

No, I don't have a solution, and I wish I could find one. Supercharging is simply out of the question until one arises.

Andrew
Old 04-02-2001, 05:12 PM
Sev

I remember someone posting info about our diffs type recently. It said something along the lines of, although it is a great differential for track racing and lightweight it isn't so great for drag racing and so on...

The link was straight from the torsen sight.
Old 04-02-2001, 05:12 PM

I was looking at that webpage (http://www.torsen.com/products/T-2.htm)and noticed they said that the Torsen diff is mini spare tolerant. I believe our manual says not to use the spare on the rear of the car but to swap a front tire to the rear and use the mini up front.

humm...ya never know who to believe.

Old 04-02-2001, 05:16 PM

Just because Mazda assembles the piece for Honda, that doesn't mean they are using Mazda pieces. I'm sure it was designed by the engineers at Honda in conjunction with the engineers at Torsen. Mazda is just supplying the labor to assemble them.
Old 04-02-2001, 05:27 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by Mike B at Comptech
Just because Mazda assembles the piece for Honda, that doesn't mean they are using Mazda pieces. I'm sure it was designed by the engineers at Honda in conjunction with the engineers at Torsen. Mazda is just supplying the labor to assemble them.
Mike, what did you guys end up with in yours? KAAZ?
Old 04-02-2001, 05:38 PM

Sorry Mike, but this diff was designed by Mazda, however, I do agree on the labor issue, truth is...we don't know either way.

Andrew
Old 04-02-2001, 05:41 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

don't know either way what?
Old 04-02-2001, 06:14 PM

RT,

Who designed, manufactured, and assembled this diff is not in question, but exactly where...and we do not know that. This is an RX-7 diff with slight tweaks...it's the best, and Honda knew it. I just wish people weren't having problems with it. Glad to say I haven't had any problems, of course I don't have a SC, and I don't do smokey doughnuts in parking lots either (not to say that is what causes the problem, just being funny)...hehe.

Andrew
Old 04-02-2001, 07:11 PM

See guys i told you I wasnnt telling a tale about this hehe. Well I just think that if honda keeps getting these reports of diff failures they need to take it up with mazda. Work together on the problem. You never know. Maybe the RX-7's which are still produced in JPN are having the same diff problems the s2k is having. And i wonder if they are having these problems on JDM S2ks???

Des,

Quick Reply: Found some MAJOR info on our DIFF's