S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Foreseeing the year ahead (2009)

Old 12-15-2008, 12:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep... gold is good. And just basically get out of the dollar.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrote a long one a few weeks ago on S2k prices being low now

Too lazy to rewrite everything .. I essence, I see S2K prices coming down further, including new ones ... and US economy only seeing the beginning of a decline ...
Old 12-16-2008, 10:42 AM

They way I looked at it was the production vs. demand. Honda knew the S was coming to the end of its production run going into '08-09, but sales still supported a decent if relatively small production (3000 units). Then came the summer of high gas and the fall of crashing economy. Lots of S's on lots and over 60% sales decline year on year. Honda now has a decision to make on production next year going into the recession. Do they cut S2000 production to 1000, less? Are dealers going to be as anxious to sell the 1 S they get if they know their total yearly allotment is 4? Or are they going to keep the S on the lot at a decent price so they can attract buyers of other cars in? Then, is '09 the last year of S production. Its long in the tooth, low margin, expensive to build and taking up valuable Suzuka floor space. Personally, I think the '08 models, whether they're sold now, or sometime in '09, will be the lowest priced NEW S2000s, hence why I went out and bought mine. I don't know if my logic follows, but its something to consider.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:05 PM

Here's all I know as an observer and older Gen-Xer (you know, I can remember a little about the Carter years) and car person (a guy who always reads up on cars, etc).

- there is a tiny bit of deflation right now, some business news sources mention it, because you can never adjust production of major goods to exactly match decreasing demand. (note that honda announced production cuts)

It is safe to assume Honda is waiting to see what happens.

- the oil prices are wacky. I think 60-70 USD barrel would be reasonable for the harder to get oil and would be a near term settling point. However, much of the price has nothing to do with "reason." Also note that the Saudis have poured billions (if not trillions) into a vast oil drilling operation in a remote desert once thought impossible to drill. If they are right and get production up, oil stays low for a while. If they are wrong, oil shoots up and they begin a trek back to the poor house (imagine the mess).

It is safe to assume the oil traders are waiting to see what happens (with these this new field, other new fields, and drilling/refining growth)

- the housing, credit and auto mess is probably all tied to betting on growth then selling it all short so fast. We're told the credit market remains the problem.

It is safe to assume the credit market is waiting to see what happens.

So, what does a regular joe like me do when he sees a car he never thought he'd be able to own selling for less than MSRP?

I'll wait for February and try to get a new one. If I get a new one, I it's safe to assume that the money will go to the thrill and fun of ownership and I won't be able to know that I can always sell it quick to recoup the investment since the model may change within 2-5 years. (I don't think Honda was looking when GM rolled out the Solstice and Sky. I think that cut their market more than they expected. I see those things all over, but I'd never own one)

If I can't, we've seen enough evidence that used, even certified used, S2000s can be had for a price that would have been considered a steal not too long ago.

Just my $.02, assumption, etc.

I've found that when I hear or read predictions that swing wildly from left to right or boom to bust that the right answer is just about always in the middle.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:42 PM

thanks for the replies guys.

i dono...but after giving it much thought i might actually just wait a couple years to get a S. i feel like taking out a loan and getting one this second but that's not too smart. i don't think i can save up enough by end of next year to be able to comfortably own and maintain the S so i decided against buying one for next year...i would be able to afford a 00/01 but i don't want ap1's.

oh well...at least time flies...(both a blessing and a curse)
Old 12-17-2008, 03:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ yeah don't get yourself in a hole..keep your head up, you'll get an ap2 when the time comes..GL
Old 12-17-2008, 05:23 AM

Good decision I think. This is a good time to NOT buy a car you don't really need.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:00 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

^^^Bought mine in October, put it away til sping in November, LOL