S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Foreseeing the year ahead (2009)

Old 12-14-2008, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did I know this post would turn into another stupid economy discsussion . Everyone should just sit tight, shut up and stop trying to predict the future. NO ONE here can change the inevitable. Enjoy what you have and stop worrying.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Sidriver were you alive during the cold war? if so do you have a massive fallout shelter with tons of food/water ,because the soviets launched a nuclear missile silo into space(aka sputnik), or some other bizarre reasoning.. Have you recently purchase a house boat because the entire world is going to be flooded? ( global warming)
Old 12-14-2008, 06:48 PM

Thug Lyfe, where do you go to school?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe,Dec 13 2008, 04:28 PM
So my question is, in 2009 wintertime (exactly a year from now) would the recession worsen and cause the price of the S2000 to plummet even more?
If I knew the answer to this, I'd be investing loads of money accordingly. But no one knows for sure, and any answer you get here is just speculation.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by common reactor,Dec 14 2008, 11:08 PM
How did I know this post would turn into another stupid economy discsussion . Everyone should just sit tight, shut up and stop trying to predict the future. NO ONE here can change the inevitable. Enjoy what you have and stop worrying.
Amen.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:07 PM

thanks guys i know there's nothing i can do but let the clock tick but i'm so impatient
Old 12-15-2008, 05:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe,Dec 14 2008, 09:07 PM
thanks guys i know there's nothing i can do but let the clock tick but i'm so impatient
Believe me I know how you feel. I was actually planning on buying an S in March 0f '08 because that gave me more time to save up another 2 grand or so and it was right around my birthday(It was gonna be my birthday present to myself). But, I figured that since I could get a better deal in the winter time due to the seasonal price drop I started browsing around and gave myslelf a number that I wouldn't go over under any circumstances. Low and behold after haggling with the dealership for a little over a week we came to an agreement and the dealership met my numbers to the dot. So I purchased my S in the beg-mid of december.

What I'm suggesting is that you don't have to buy an S right away but several months before you're ready you can start looking. It may take those several months to find one w/ the price you have in mind or it may take you much quicker and you may find a miraculous deal that just popped up and you wouldn't need those extra 1-2 thousand that you're trying to save up due to the great deal. So, keep and eye open at a killer deal that's legit and Good Luck!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 06:07 AM

IF he has to sell the S14 to buy the S2000 THEN he's going to have an uphill climb later.

There will be more buyers for a cheap(er) S14, but maybe not as many as he's probably hoping for. I'm thinking he's going to get lowballed (240 guys are notoriously ####ing cheap. I know because I was one too).

This is not dissimilar to people who want to take advantage of the lowered real estate prices now, but cannot because they have to sell their current home/property to do so.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ThuG LyFe:

No answer I can give as to the value of used S2ks now, vs a year from now. The reason is that nobody knows. Anybody who says they know is vastly overestimating their mental powers!

One thing is fairly certain, though. The value (i.e.) of a used 07 a year from now won't be very many $ different from the value of a comparable '06 right now. Not enough of a difference to justify working two jobs to make it work right now, even if prices are a little higher a year from now -- which they may well not be.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:18 PM

The economy is just gonna get worse in the future. Unemployment is up, stock market is down, money is being printed, trade deficit is worse, etc etc.

The average price of all S have dropped since, by next year I don't feel the prices dropping anymore. Thats not saying that you can't snag a deal from someone thats desperate to sell. If you can save enough money where selling your car isn't a must to make up the money (cause your car will be worthless too) then you'll be in great shape to pick up a severly underpriced S.

THe S is a 2nd car for most (summer, track day duties only), many of these ppl won't need to sell (if they have a second car, they must be somewhat savvy in economics). Most of the sellers u see right now are upgrading their cars or finding themselves retiring track day duties for future kids. Doesn't really sound like ppl are desperate to sell to get into a cheaper hyundai or something.

With that said, save your money dude. Buy some gold bricks or something, cause we're all ****ed. Wait for the bottom (you'll know the bottom after it starts to climb back up). Cars aren't like the stock market, its not like 40% rallies on the upturn, so you'll have time to catch it on the upswing.

Quick Reply: Foreseeing the year ahead (2009)