S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Foreseeing the year ahead (2009)

Old 12-13-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Dec 13 2008, 11:18 PM
I really wish I could say that I though you were wrong.
That makes two of us.

Truthfully, I would gladly swallow my pride and hope the worst doesn't come to pass. But I think it's just wishful thinking to believe that if we just maintain the status quo, we won't be in for something much worse than the Great Depression.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see prices remaining fairly stable floor wise in the 12K range. You still do not see even non beat on 100k+ mile 2000-01 models go below $10K.

Just like the floor on nice early NSXs still remains in the 25-28K range. It has been that way for years. I know, because I gave up on it and just went with the S2K instead.

Save cash until you can afford a nice low mileage example in the 13K range and don't look back. the way Honda is going, the S2K will be "the Honda sports car" for a loooooong time to come.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe,Dec 13 2008, 08:04 PM
autocid yea i hope we can both be part of the team soon lol
this is going to be a longgg wait..
Old 12-13-2008, 09:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Dec 13 2008, 08:18 PM
I really wish I could say that I though you were wrong.
well with that, i can say i do.

while i think u hit the nail on the head on certain issues, i think theres a lot of bias on others that truly depends on how u take things.

first off - i'm a moderate. not a conservative. not a liberal. right down the middle.

many more conservative people would rather see the market play things out, eliminate the companies that made bad choices, and overall strengthen the future market. while that all sounds fine, the problem lies with those "average americans" that get screwed in the mean time. its funny to me as a metro detroit to see the opposition to the bail out of the auto industry. should CEOs be flying in corporate jets to ask for money? no. but should AIG b throwing $400k parties after getting bailed out? should my michigan earnings go to the federal programs to help people that chose to live where hurricans can hit? well its all on priorities. many more people felt we couldn't let certain banks fail, and while toyota and honda are hurting more than ever / european car companies are getting money from their governments - there just isn't that support for the big 3.

on the opposite side of things, the liberals want to see big daddy government with his hands in everyones business. regulation helps in certain situations of course, but it could also slow overall growth down. its easy to look back and say we should have had more regulation.

complete free market and complete regulation is not the answer, rather we need balance. as the world is more and more crippled by the effects on the global economy, i think it will b the US coming out on top.

so yes, this will surely cost us a lot of loot, but the New Deal was pricey, WW2 was pricey, federal highway programs were pricey, etc, etc. its not going to be spending that could kill us, its spending on the wrong things, not taking gambles when we should, and not saving/investing in ourselves when we should. there is no better time to make a push for increased renewable energy use, and thats one thing that could help us big. imagine if we got to keep half what we sent the saudis....
Old 12-13-2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by JERO,Dec 13 2008, 08:50 PM
I see prices remaining fairly stable floor wise in the 12K range. You still do not see even non beat on 100k+ mile 2000-01 models go below $10K.

Just like the floor on nice early NSXs still remains in the 25-28K range. It has been that way for years. I know, because I gave up on it and just went with the S2K instead.

Save cash until you can afford a nice low mileage example in the 13K range and don't look back. the way Honda is going, the S2K will be "the Honda sports car" for a loooooong time to come.
yea i figured the price wouldn't budge much lower than 10k even for ap1's. there are some decent ones for 9k but they either have 100k+ miles or it doesn't look that great condition.

either way if i can score a ap2 for 14k or under in good condition (no dents, scratches, car runs perfect) then i will try to. another option i have is to settle for an ap1 for like 10k but i think that extra 4k for the ap2 would be worth it since i think it looks a lot better and i could use the little extra low end torque. well ima keep my fingers crossed but man, a whole year is a long time to wait. (although time does fly if you think about it)
Old 12-14-2008, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by SiDriver,Dec 13 2008, 07:10 PM
The way things are going now, I'm pretty sure the economy is going to worsen by this time next year. The feds are printing money like it's going out of style, bailing out companies, when market forces should be allowed to work on their own. Our trade deficit is still increasing and some think the US is about to lose its AAA credit bond rating. If other countries stop lending us money and the USD loses its status as the world reserve currency, that's when the shit will really hit the fan and make the Great Depression seem like a walk in the park.

If the economy worsens, people will try to sell for less, but on the other hand, the buyers should be saving money as much as possible. If hyperinflation hits (if other countries say screw you to the USD and demand for our currency goes away), then the cost of everything is going to skyrocket into the heavens.

Either way, I'd probably wait and play this one out by ear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46MEqEgdLTg (Gerald on Fox Business)

More from someone else (Peter Schiff : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schiff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGHODRNJqRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVDzQU311tc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0QN-FYkpw

Another one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n3g5lUgkWk
Old 12-14-2008, 05:51 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I really think that the more people feed into this, the more they dramatically change the way they live, the worse this thing will get.

People are scared, not to say that I blame them, this thing sucks. But look at what happened to gas prices, when they hit $2.50+ a gallon people were flipping out, that it all you heard about on the news. This drove speculators to buy more and before you know it gas prices are over $4 a gallon.

This issue is similar, the more people feed this the worse it seems (not to say that it is not bad) and the more people buckle down and the economy is at a freeze, no spending, no loans, no trading. I am not advocating those that are spending beyond their means to continue (this has to change). What I am saying is those that people are scared of losing their jobs, afriad of what will happen in the next year, who are not spending at all and stocking up as much bank as possible, need to stop and live life like they were before. Fact is everyone is scared, and very few of our jobs are safe in this economy, living in fear is just feeding this thing even more, making a bad outcome more likely.

With that I say forget the current/future economy when looking at a purchase like this, it is screwed up and no one really knows what it going to happen with it. If you find an S2k that you like at a decent price, and CAN AFFORD it, buy it!
Old 12-14-2008, 06:48 AM

to OP: If you were a unionized auto worker, I say "Don't buy!". But since you're in pharm, you'll be fine. There'll always be people needing health care, and if you don't have dependents, treat yourself.

For the ones who think the economy will continue to spiral downwards, good for you -- it's nice to see realists who don't have their head buried in the sand. Hard times are coming, much harder times.

Obviously, no one _knows_ for sure what will happen, but a bit reading and common sense will tell you that the US doesn't have much going for itself.

The biggest thing is that the US just doesn't have enough natural resources to bail itself out once tech/auto/finance industries fail. All technology companies are outsourcing, teaching other up and coming countries how to produce widgets. Pretty soon, they will make it just as well as anyone.

No one wants to spend $ getting a car, a near-guarantee depreciating asset. Worse, the people who needs a new car may not look at the Big 3, for whatever reason, be it stigma, folklore, or actual stats, are the cars reliable? Will I have to bring it in for servicing like 1st year Neons -- I know someone who had one, they went for "quarterly checkups." Exotic cars I could maybe understand....

Your finance market is based on a healthy country. You're right, most countries still thinnk of the greenback as #1, but with no other current nor up-and-coming industries able to rebuild the middle class, why would other countries/banks/individuals continue to invest in the US dollar?

My question: Is it Un-American right now to buy foreign? Yes, I know that foreign car companies make cars in the US, but ultimately it is the mother company that profits. Everyone now understands that the big 3 going down affects MUCH more than just their employees - so would you not have to buy domestic to keep the economy alive?
Old 12-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might be moved to the politics section. Its branching away from the s2000 subject. I need to re read everything and make that s2000. please try to keep it on topic to the original post

In all honesty, the s2000 prices are going to continue to drop. Eventually the car is going to stop production, rumors have been floating around for ever though about it. 09 might be the official last year though, but we can't be 100% sure yet. They are supposed to drop the s2000 though for a newer model to replace it, but who even knows if that will make production based on current things.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Thug Lyfe, What are you gonna do to your s14 when you're able to get an S? Keep it and turn it into a Drift car? Or get rid of it and not even look back?

Quick Reply: Foreseeing the year ahead (2009)