S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Foreseeing the year ahead (2009)

Old 12-13-2008, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreseeing the year ahead (2009)

Hello everyone,

Brief intro about myself, I'm currently in 4th year of my 6 year pharmacy program and I'm obsessed with the S! Just until last year my plan was to finish the remainder of my school and then get a 06+ in best condition i can find as a graduation present or something..but seeing how the economy has brought the prices down A LOT I'm considering if I should pull the trigger by next winter on a 04-05. I will have to sell my car and work full time this summer but in the end I think I can scrap up around 10-11k.

So my question is, in 2009 wintertime (exactly a year from now) would the recession worsen and cause the price of the S2000 to plummet even more? 04's can be had for about 14-15k right now (however maybe around ~50-60k miles), so would it fall into the 12's by next winter? i doubt it will be 10-11k so i might have to finance the remainder or maybe raid my savings a little

Also, my guess is that this is probably going to be the last year of the s2000 made. would the prices go up or down after a car is usually discontinued? So basically, I'm willing to sacrifice A LOT to get into my dream car. I'm just seeing what everyone thinks will happen in the end of 2009 and if my dream can come true...but we shall see
Old 12-13-2008, 03:58 PM

im really hoping for our sake thug lyfe..that it drops even lower:]
im gonna try and get into one by next summer too

but for the sellers it kinda sucks

hopefully somone has a decent idea
Old 12-13-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The way things are going now, I'm pretty sure the economy is going to worsen by this time next year. The feds are printing money like it's going out of style, bailing out companies, when market forces should be allowed to work on their own. Our trade deficit is still increasing and some think the US is about to lose its AAA credit bond rating. If other countries stop lending us money and the USD loses its status as the world reserve currency, that's when the shit will really hit the fan and make the Great Depression seem like a walk in the park.

If the economy worsens, people will try to sell for less, but on the other hand, the buyers should be saving money as much as possible. If hyperinflation hits (if other countries say screw you to the USD and demand for our currency goes away), then the cost of everything is going to skyrocket into the heavens.

Either way, I'd probably wait and play this one out by ear.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by SiDriver,Dec 13 2008, 05:10 PM
The way things are going now, I'm pretty sure the economy is going to worsen by this time next year. The feds are printing money like it's going out of style, bailing out companies, when market forces should be allowed to work on their own. Our trade deficit is still increasing and some think the US is about to lose its AAA credit bond rating. If other countries stop lending us money and the USD loses its status as the world reserve currency, that's when the shit will really hit the fan and make the Great Depression seem like a walk in the park.

If the economy worsens, people will try to sell for less, but on the other hand, the buyers should be saving money as much as possible. If hyperinflation hits (if other countries say screw you to the USD and demand for our currency goes away), then the cost of everything is going to skyrocket into the heavens.

Either way, I'd probably wait and play this one out by ear.
lol..This depression is supposed to be like that of the 80s and 70s were not looking at another great depression.. Its not like we are the only country in a depression right now the us dollar has gained against the British pound since a few months ago.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by hariku821,Dec 13 2008, 08:27 PM
lol..This depression is supposed to be like that of the 80s and 70s were not looking at another great depression.. Its not like we are the only country in a depression right now the us dollar has gained against the British pound since a few months ago.
The main reason the dollar recently gained some strength in respect to other currencies lies in the fact that the world still considers the USD its reserve currency. Everyone is hurting right now, so what does the world do? Deleverage assets and try to find refuge in the world reserve currency aka USD. The demand for the USD is up, which correlates to the rally in the dollar. But this is only temporary. Once the deleveraging subsides and the effects of what the gov't is doing now (printing money like there's no tomorrow, conjuring up fantasies of stimuli packages, bailing out companies) become apparent, that's when we'll likely to have massive inflation (just google up Zimbabwe hyperinflation). Look at our trade deficit. We are the world's largest debtor. We're about to lose our AAA bond credit rating. Our nation consumes too much and doesn't produce or save enough. Our bullshit economy is like a ticking time bomb ready to go off. The writing's on the wall.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have no idea wat your talking about... stop listening to bias.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by S2Kage,Dec 13 2008, 09:21 PM
You have no idea wat your talking about... stop listening to bias.
Please break down my post and tell me where I went wrong. I guess I can't blame people for not wanting to believe this. Sometimes, there's a natural tendency for people to tune things out, especially when its something unthinkable and doesn't receive MSM coverage, and just hope for the best.

All of the following are facts, just put the pieces together and come to your own conclusion...

We are the world's largest debtor.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...r/2187rank.html

We have the largest trade deficit... our nation's economy is financed with debt.

Global investors have been deleveraging, increasing demand for the USD, hence pushing up its worth, temporarily.

We have been printing money like it's going out of style and bailing out falling companies, instead of letting the market do its job. We are increasing the money supply and therefore debasing our currency.

Our nation doesn't produce enough, all we do is mostly consume and borrow from other countries. And if that isn't enough, we just keep printing more damn money. Just think of an irresponsible individual making 30k/year and spending 50k/year. He can go on as long as banks will loan him credit, but it will eventually come to an end.

This so-called new deal is going to cost billions - where the hell is this money going to come from? They'll probably tax us more, if not, they'll just print more money. We'll have a little more in our paychecks, but things will cost more.

Our economy has been sustained so long as other countries have been willing to lend us money. But something has to give as this cannot go on forever. We have to change our economic policies, start producing and saving, and cut spending dramatically across the board.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:04 PM

autocid yea i hope we can both be part of the team soon lol

si driver - thanks for the detailed input...i just hope it doesn't reach too low that i won't be able to even afford one...but my job is pretty steady as i work as an intern in the pharmacy. so you think i should see what happens next winter huh? well actually it's not like i have a choice anyway lol.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe,Dec 13 2008, 11:04 PM
autocid yea i hope we can both be part of the team soon lol

si driver - thanks for the detailed input...i just hope it doesn't reach too low that i won't be able to even afford one...but my job is pretty steady as i work as an intern in the pharmacy. so you think i should see what happens next winter huh? well actually it's not like i have a choice anyway lol.
Yea, don't worry about things over which you have no control. Just play it by ear and wait until next winter and go from there. I wouldn't make any big and lavish purchases for the time being. The gov't wants to inspire consumer confidence so that we can spend. That's the exact wrong thing to be doing, as that mentality was the culprit that got us into this mess in the first place.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by SiDriver,Dec 13 2008, 09:52 PM
Please break down my post and tell me where I went wrong. I guess I can't blame people for not wanting to believe this. Sometimes, there's a natural tendency for people to tune things out, especially when its something unthinkable and doesn't receive MSM coverage, and just hope for the best.

All of the following are facts, just put the pieces together and come to your own conclusion...

We are the world's largest debtor.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...r/2187rank.html

We have the largest trade deficit... our nation's economy is financed with debt.

Global investors have been deleveraging, increasing demand for the USD, hence pushing up its worth, temporarily.

We have been printing money like it's going out of style and bailing out falling companies, instead of letting the market do its job. We are increasing the money supply and therefore debasing our currency.

Our nation doesn't produce enough, all we do is mostly consume and borrow from other countries. And if that isn't enough, we just keep printing more damn money. Just think of an irresponsible individual making 30k/year and spending 50k/year. He can go on as long as banks will loan him credit, but it will eventually come to an end.

This so-called new deal is going to cost billions - where the hell is this money going to come from? They'll probably tax us more, if not, they'll just print more money. We'll have a little more in our paychecks, but things will cost more.

Our economy has been sustained so long as other countries have been willing to lend us money. But something has to give as this cannot go on forever. We have to change our economic policies, start producing and saving, and cut spending dramatically across the board.
I really wish I could say that I though you were wrong.

Quick Reply: Foreseeing the year ahead (2009)