S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Flushing all the fluids. Recommendations?

Old 10-07-2003, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flushing all the fluids. Recommendations?

I'm getting close to 30k and am going to change the:
Oil
Transmission
Differential
Radiator

Any recommendations for all these? I looked at some other threads, but couldn't decide from them.

THANKS

~Andrew
Old 10-07-2003, 09:27 PM

Sounds like a good idea.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:43 PM

look in under the hood. The faq section has loads of do-it-yourself tips. I changed all of the above myself.

I have Mobil 1 Synthetic for motor oil
I use Mobil 1 diff fluid
I use the OEM tranny fluid
and the OEM coolant
Old 10-07-2003, 11:33 PM

Old 10-08-2003, 12:32 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

how about flushing the brake fluid and the clutch fluid? any tips on those changes? and do you guys just use oem brake fluid for the brake and clutch fluid change?
Old 10-08-2003, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by north9586
I'm getting close to 30k and am going to change the:
Oil
Transmission
Differential
Radiator

Any recommendations for all these? I looked at some other threads, but couldn't decide from them.

THANKS

~Andrew
For the oil, I go with Mobil 1 10W-30 full synthetic. It's a good compromise between price and getting a good oil. Remember, you're going to drain the stuff out in about 3000 miles anyway. Use a good filter; the new Honda filter is now made to Toyo Roki and is better quality that the old Honda ones made by FRAM.

For the transmission, I go with OEM Honda MTF. The transmission has always shifted well with this fluid, so I have never had reason to stray from this brand.

For the differential, I have used both Mobil 1 75W-90 and Redline 75W-90 (not the Redline Shock Proof stuff). I'm running the Redline now. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two. I'm on a 10,000 mile change interval, and the fluid seems to come out cleaner and cleaner every time.

I haven't done a coolant change yet, but when I do, I'm going with Honda premixed coolant.

For clutch and brake, I have used Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid. This stuff has great properties for the price. It offers higher performance than OEM fluid without bringing to the table the volatility that running a race fluid will. The race fluids tend to absorb water at a much faster rate, and they aren't really necessary for a street driven car.

Please keep in mind that this car does not see track duty, she's my daily driver.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:49 PM

Thanks guys

~Andrew
Old 10-08-2003, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uncle Fester's info is right on!

The only possible exception might be if you want to go with a long-life coolant. The Honda Coolant is excellent, as it is free of silicates, which can cause erosion of alumiunum heads passages, fuel pump impellers, etc.

There is a new class of coolants based on G-5 spec originally developed by BASF, using glysantin as the base anti-corrosive. It is also free of abrasives, and is yellow in color, but has a service life even longer than Honda's. Zerex makes it in the USA. Neary all the premium European cars use G-5, including Audi, M-B, etc.

The best and cheapest source I know of is actually Ford. It is called "Premium Gold" and is about $7-8/quart. My Cobra came with it, and it is rated at 70k miles. Other (earlier mfd) SVT Cobras came with the conventional "Green" and the service life is less.

One caveat - you need to flush the original coolant very, very well if you are going to switch. The fluid must run completely clear, or there is a possibility of jelling in the recesses of the radiator.

So, if longevity is not an issue, stick with Honda's coolant.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:10 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

what do you mean by new honda filter? Do you mean the MY04's?
Old 10-09-2003, 12:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jyeung528
what do you mean by new honda filter?

Quick Reply: Flushing all the fluids. Recommendations?