S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Fluid Changes?

Old 06-07-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fluid Changes?

after reading the owners manual and service history guide i still can't find when to change the tranny, coolant and axle fluids. toyota's service guide would show the months and the miles when the changes were due. i saw the brake fluid which is every 3 years but the tranny and brake fluids were on every page as a checklist.
how often are these changes supposed to be done?

also, has anyone adjusted valves on their S2K and when you did how many miles did it have? longest car i kept was my celica gts and that had 70K when i sold it and never adjusted the valves. i'm planning on keeping the car for a lot longer than 4 years.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd look in the manual again, I know all the recommended intervals are in mine. Read the FAQ's in the Under the Hood forum/Technical forum, lots of good info there.
Most 'enthusiasts ' change their fluids before the recommended interval anyway.
Diff at 7500, Tranny at 15,000, and brake and clutch every 2 yrs here.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is very odd. Perhaps it's because you have an '06 with that "oil minder" thing. All other owner's maintenance schedules do indicate a change interval for all these fluids.
Your engine oil is by "oil minder" but if you read your owner's manual carefully, you should see that there is a 1 year limit on this where you change it if the light hasn't gone off yet.
The tranny fluid in previous model years indicate a fairly long change interval, but those on this board have changed it earlier if shifting presents an issue. Mine indicates tranny fluid at 60K miles or 4 years under the "severe" schedule.
Although the manual indicates rear diff fluid at 15K miles or annually, it's not a bad idea to get the original fluid out of there sometime before 5000 miles to get all the break-in shavings out of there.
Brake fluid is every 3 years.
Engine coolant should be a Type II for your car and is supposedly good for 10 years, 120K miles. Best to check this after 5 years.
There is no valve adjustment interval. Adjust only if "noisey".
Old 06-07-2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jun 7 2006, 02:18 PM
This is very odd. Perhaps it's because you have an '06 with that "oil minder" thing. All other owner's maintenance schedules do indicate a change interval for all these fluids.
Your engine oil is by "oil minder" but if you read your owner's manual carefully, you should see that there is a 1 year limit on this where you change it if the light hasn't gone off yet.
The tranny fluid in previous model years indicate a fairly long change interval, but those on this board have changed it earlier if shifting presents an issue. Mine indicates tranny fluid at 60K miles or 4 years under the "severe" schedule.
Although the manual indicates rear diff fluid at 15K miles or annually, it's not a bad idea to get the original fluid out of there sometime before 5000 miles to get all the break-in shavings out of there.
Brake fluid is every 3 years.
Engine coolant should be a Type II for your car and is supposedly good for 10 years, 120K miles. Best to check this after 5 years.
There is no valve adjustment interval. Adjust only if "noisey".
oil i'm not worried about cause of the minder light but there's nothing in the books that show when certain fluids should be changed.

it's good to know that tranny can be changed at 60K under severe conditions and not at 30. i don't road race anymore because the $$ adds up real fast, just normal driving and a few montain attacks. i don't drag race legally or illegally since the celica so i shouldn't worry about my 2nd gear, plus i don't drive like i used too speed shifting every gear. Differential at 15K and coolant is at 120k. it would have been nice if these things were in the service history book.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMike,Jun 7 2006, 01:31 PM
I'd look in the manual again, I know all the recommended intervals are in mine. Read the FAQ's in the Under the Hood forum/Technical forum, lots of good info there.
Most 'enthusiasts ' change their fluids before the recommended interval anyway.
Diff at 7500, Tranny at 15,000, and brake and clutch every 2 yrs here.
i've read everything they gave me twice and i still can't find when to change fluids other than oil. you would think it would be in the service history book but there's nothing showing in regards to changes based on miles or term all it has are checklists. i think xviper had a point basing it on the 06 cause all other years has all the recommended intervals in the service book.