S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Flipped at 110 and Lived!!

Old 01-27-2002, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw, adding a S/C makes the S2000 SAFER........yes, SAFER on the street.

1. more grunt allows slower corner entry speed but still allows good exit speed to get a thrill. the normally
aspirated "low powered" car requires u to carry more entry speed and maintain momentum to get same
approach to the limit given equal chassis performance of each car.
with slower entry, u have more time for avoidance maneuvers or backing off from innocent bystanders.

2. more grunt gives better (and needed in this car) passing power, giving less exposure time to u and innocent nearby drivers for legal pasing maneuvers.

3. more grunt gives u a cushion in the power band, not needing to frenetically maintain hi rpm, giving a more relaxed and safer drive.

4 more grunt gives u effective power to apply skilled CAR CONTROL....if u are capable of learning this.

5. on the track, the S/C is less needed, because u have complete absence of stop and go situations like on the street, therefore u can maintain the hi rpm range for good power.....and have better throttle response
from a normally aspirated induction. BUT,....the S/C is way more fun...track or street.

i am the Apotheosis of all things music, motoring and mankind. thank you.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:10 AM

I wouldn't doubt for a moment that the dad passed on collision insurance as a 'subtle hint' that his son should drive very carefully, or he'll lose the car.

Sounds like the kid learned the lesson quite well.

- Warren [/B][/QUOTE]

If I had any doubts about my son's ability to handle responsibility, I'd yank his license - not his collision coverage! BTW, a kid's first car should be something like an old Ford Crown Vic with a 10 hp Briggs & Stratton engine, not a sports car!
Old 01-28-2002, 05:53 AM

YEah...I'm an excellent driver..
Way to go buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2002, 02:56 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by INREPAIR
[B]I thought I might share a story that might give someone a bit of warning when you race at extremly high speeds. And will I do it on the street agian. NO.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:32 PM

INREPAIR:

Where are these pictures, man??? I thought you had pictures for this whole montrosity.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:18 PM

I have just read all the posts and only have this to add:

I am glad to hear that he/she lived.

A driving course will not solve this problem. It runs deeper than that.

Yes, his skill should get better. But I see this only happening again because of the increased confidence in his/her driving ability.

the problem is that INREPAIR has not internalized how easy it is to be killed and the finality of death.

I was hit on the driver side of my miata by a Jeep Cherokee. The cross beam and rollbar saved my life. My car did not roll, but the bar kept the structural rigidity way up. i was able to hop out of the car and run in place, do jumping jacks and backflips. that accident could have ended my life. All because a 17 year old decided to take another way home and tried to make a red light.

Trust me.......as a graduating Human Physiologist, I know how fragile life is. 3.5 minutes is all it takes to either put someone in an irreversible coma or outright kill them.

Once INREPAIR realizes that he can be killed through much less carelessness, and TRUELY INTERNALIZES THIS, he will be safer.

Many of you drive safely for one of two reasons:

You want to live for you
You want to live for your family.

I hope he realizes that these two reasons are why he is getting flamed so hard.

this is my four cents. Keep the change.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:33 PM

Funny, I take that turn everyday at 120mph whilst changing c/ds and sipping coffee. Maybe the Miata is much more forgiving afterall. They are just movies....with professional drivers and a lot of camera tricks. Don't try this at highway.....
Old 02-19-2002, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by kamehamaha
7250 rpms are telling you that you have arrived. You let out a scream matching your engines sonic fury as you apex and power out. You turn. You drift. You marvel at the balance. Then, its over. You have seen the nirvana of a true sports car: Miata
And then it suddenly hits you, the guy next to you is driving an S2K his redline 9K rpm, he's seen nirvana and kept on going and you are left there wondering, wondering, wondering...
Old 02-19-2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by asmx

And then it suddenly hits you, the guy next to you is driving an S2K his redline 9K rpm, he's seen nirvana and kept on going and you are left there wondering, wondering, wondering...
wondering why chose that tall....long...roadster???? when light tossable Elan-like Miatas are so readily available, wondering if that 9k redline is worth an extra 9k dollars... if you could just get him in the twisties, and then it hits you...you smile bigger.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MiataPilot
[B]

wondering why chose that tall....long...roadster???? when light tossable Elan-like Miatas are so readily available, wondering if that 9k redline is worth an extra 9k dollars... if you could just get him in the twisties, and then it hits you...you smile

Quick Reply: Flipped at 110 and Lived!!