S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Fitting tonneau cover?

Old 04-05-2005, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting tonneau cover?

How the hell does this stupid thing work? I was able to get the two outer snaps connected and the straps. But then the back clips were still at least an 1" away and would not get anywhere close enough. Also it took two people just to get it that far, and I had to let it sit in the sun for about 20 minutes.

btw, I would search first if I was able too.

Thanks,

Josh
Old 04-05-2005, 05:09 PM

don't even worry about it. i put mine on the first day i got it.. since then it's been wrapped up in plastic and in the closet. and yes, it's a PIA to get it on.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you get it on, leave it on for a while. After a few times being on for an extended period of time, it seemed easier for me to put on. With that said, I no longer use it. It's up in my storage space.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:34 PM

truly one of the few 'poor' design features of the S2000...

with that said it's worth using particularly during the heavy pollen seasons and for long top down periods of time - for me it also looks nicely finished with the cover in place...

you need to dip the cover in and attach the two clips that are at the center of the trunk deck...
next step is to insert the tabs into the rear most section of the convertible top opening...
from there you attach the two side straps and you should be good to go.

with some practice it's doable in about a minute or so....
Old 04-05-2005, 05:48 PM

I think mine is in a closet somewhere?

I can't use it because Seattle has unexpected weather... Plus I don't know why... But I think I like the look better without...
Old 04-05-2005, 06:00 PM

I wanted to put it on to take a few pictures but I gave up after a few minutes of messing with it. I guess practice makes perfect.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:32 PM

You must be talking about that black vinyl thing that was in the trunk of our S2k when we bought it. It moved from the trunk to the top of my roll-away and I have not net felt any inclination to install it.

Actually, I fiddled with one at CarMax when we were still shopping around for my wife's replacement vehicle and was setting the bait for the S2K by having her take a seat in the Spa Yellow '02 they had sitting in their showroom. Frankly, the folding tonneau cover on our old '94 Ford Mustang GT convertible was a better design than the S2k's... and it was pretty awful.

I guess I'm surprised that the good folks at Townsend Leather Company who produce those super-nice visor covers for Rick's haven't developed a foldable leather tonneau cover for the S2k ala Jag E-types, TR's, Austin Healey's and MGs of yesteryear. Then again, given that the visor covers were $117, I can only imagine how much a slab of leather large enough to cover the folded top would cost!!!
Old 04-05-2005, 06:48 PM

Useless things. I haven't used mine since the second week I had the car. I've rarely seen anyone using one at a meet. The only reason it's still taking up space in my garage is because I want to be able to tell the future second owner, "Yes, it comes with a cover."
Old 04-05-2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nate03,Apr 5 2005, 09:34 PM
truly one of the few 'poor' design features of the S2000...

with that said it's worth using particularly during the heavy pollen seasons and for long top down periods of time - for me it also looks nicely finished with the cover in place...

you need to dip the cover in and attach the two clips that are at the center of the trunk deck...
next step is to insert the tabs into the rear most section of the convertible top opening...
from there you attach the two side straps and you should be good to go.

with some practice it's doable in about a minute or so....
I should have had you put mine on when you were down here for the swap. I tried putting it one once and it really was a PITA.

Much like other s2k owners, mine is in storage. Maybe I'm alone on this one, but I like the way it looks WITHOUT the tonneau on. Even though it looks unkept, it still looks cleaner without one, IMHO.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by tabach0y273,Apr 5 2005, 09:54 PM
I should have had you put mine on when you were down here for the swap. I tried putting it one once and it really was a PITA.

Much like other s2k owners, mine is in storage. Maybe I'm alone on this one, but I like the way it looks WITHOUT the tonneau on. Even though it looks unkept, it still looks cleaner without one, IMHO.
yep = would've been glad to -- btw did you find those lost $50's in my seat back pockets?

- most people don't use it (the cover) and also don't mind the look without it...

without using it and after long periods of exposure tot he sun there's a good chance of sun fade on the exposed inside portion of the convertible top - I had seen that kind of white stripe on many Miata tops where the convertible cover wasn't used for several years...

YMMV

Quick Reply: Fitting tonneau cover?