S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

First ticket... help!

Old 03-21-2004, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Loons,

First, next time this happens, never, never admit to speeding. when the cop asks if you know why he pulled you over, politely say no I don't. My 18 year old son got pulled over and was very polite with the cop and when we went to see the DA before his case, the cop agreed to a reduction because my son was polite (he said that to the DA).

Second, find out your state laws on traffic violations. NJ has a kind of out where you can pay a fine but not get points on your ticket. You can go to court early on the day of your trial and ask to see the DA before court starts. See if he is agreeable to a reduction, etc. based on another state statute that you may find.

NJ has a statute for careless driving, not reckless driving, that carries a fine but no points. You have to look up your state statutes to see if there is something similar.

Third, I already stated this, but I will again. Go to court an hour before your stated court time and ask to see the DA. Try to get a reduction. Don't go in whining, but ack professional with him, tell him what happened and ask if there is something he can do. If you found a statute that doesn't carry points, see if he can change the citation to that.

It is worth a try. You have nothing to lose.

My son has received three tickets. One we got reduced to the careless driving with no points, and the other two were reduced from four point tickets to two point tickets. (I then made him pay for a driving school to get his act together).

you can also see if there is a driving school type thing like Road Rage stated that will reduce your points once the class has been successfully completed.

hope this all helps. Good luck and slow down a little. And NEVER NEVER NEVER admit anything to a cop again.

Oh, I almost forgot, so see the cop you mentioned in your message. he might be able to talk to the cop who gave you the ticket and convince him to reduce it. Again, it's worth a try.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:27 PM

your best bet is to look for technicalities.........which are things that the cop did wrong while writing or filing your ticket..........i got my ticket off because the cop has 48 hours to file it in court and he filed it in 72 hours, you just have to keep checkin with the court to see when he filed it if its after 48 hours you got it....
Old 03-21-2004, 04:09 PM

Go to court and fight it. I have done this myself in TN, don't always work but you won't pay anymore.

I'm not sure what UTPD ticket amount would be but, I went to court about 10-12 years ago over a THP ticket that was and it got dropped. I still had to pay something like $45 dollars court cost but no ticket. Get this, they told me when you get a THP ticket, about half of the ticket goes to court costs no matter if you go to court or not. My ticket then was about $95 or so, keep in mind this was about 12 years ago.

The any speed over 20 mph is reckless driving unless they have changed it is , but that COULD be a city law, but I don't believe it.

I have a HUGE problem with you were speeding just pay the ticket idea, you think those clowns don't abuse the law also. I know there has to be limits, thats not my point, most cops in MY experience when it comes to traffic laws are hippocrites . I have seen cops speed; cruise much faster than speed limit many many times. I have seen them run red lights, stop signs, you name it.

So if you FEEL like you don't deserve a ticket, fight it.

Which FLA game you talking about? I know I was there whichever one it was. I've been to every TN-FLA game since 90 except for 91 & 03.

Good luck
Old 03-21-2004, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by TheLoons12
it claims on the ticket that he was pacing me. This like i said in my original post was a kinda shit situation though and dont really have any means of proving it.
Exactly, If you argue the case in court you will lose. This is more due to the fact that you already admitted guilt when pulled over. DO NOT DO THAT in the future. Be very respectful, but DO not admit guilt.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheLoons12
So as of right now im not sure if fighting it would be in my best interest assuming have 1 speeding ticket on my record isnt going to kill me.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:15 PM

Go to court...if you have not had any tickets in the past 2-3 years you will most likely get to go to driving school and the ticket will be dismissed.

If you haven't figured it out yet the rates should be on the back of the ticket.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:00 PM

ok well about the ticket prices that i was asking about... turns out that its going to be $108.50. I think im going to take everyones advice or well atleast most of yours and fight it. According to the UTPD website on its ticket fines a speeding ticket 15-24 mph is 108.50 but anything under that is $75. I think i have enough of an arguement having an eyewitness and the fact of the cop pacing me to atleast get a reduced fine. Then again my court date isnt for a while yet so i have plenty of time to look up technicalities and what not. With all hope the cop wont show up and it will get dropped (he didnt strike me as a real hard ass considering he made some small take about my car and the prior owner of it (my mother who as since passed on) by giving his condolences) thanks everyone i appreciate your advice.