S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

First ticket... help!

Old 03-20-2004, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS - here are a couple good tricks from a UT grad:

Trick #1:
If you are going to park illegally, keep a ticket in your glovebox (yours or otherwise) and put it under your windsheild wiper when you park. You'd be surprised how often it works. A better option is to put a boot on your own car. This works ALL the time, but those are a little harder to come by <grin>.

Trick #2:
If you tear down the goalposts after a football game and want a chunk of them, they have a jaws of life machine that is great for that in the Fort. Ever been into Old College Inn?

Have a great time at UT.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:44 PM

Dude, you were going 55 mph and the cop cited you for doing 64 mph? And then he say's he's doin you a favor? I think the cop shafted your ass.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:56 PM

I'll assume you got pulled over on Kingston Pk coming back from Downtown Centre or West Towne Carmike, and stopped in the Kroger across from Mercedes Plaza and the Big Orange BiLo. How can a UTPD cop give you a ticket off campus? Do some research here. Potential jurisdictional issues are a long shot, but worth checking into. UT law library has the TN code annotated on the second floor.
Man you know the area well and as soon as i saw that he was UTPD i also was wondering about the jurisdiction stuff. As it turns out i did some diggin and found that because of a gas leak on the strip and construction on the highway some UTPD officers were being put on street patrol to attept to compensate (dont ask me its what my friend at the department said) so im SOL there. As for how he clocked me, it claims on the ticket that he was pacing me. This like i said in my original post was a kinda shit situation though and dont really have any means of proving it. So as of right now im not sure if fighting it would be in my best interest assuming have 1 speeding ticket on my record isnt going to kill me. ive taken enough classes and paid enough money to make sure i didnt kill myself muchless someone else on the street so i dont see this being a regular thing at all then again im sure no one does. Thanks for the posts guys i appreciate it. anyone got an idea on the price of the ticket?
Old 03-21-2004, 12:00 AM

Markbert was that the flordia game your talkin about? I was there..... man what a game and hell im not even a TN fan (being from detriot ive gotta go with the wolverines). If your ever at another game anytime soon stop by the band while we are in the stands. Im the 6th (biggest) base drum player.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:07 AM

Go to court and say "I am sorry your Honor, It will never happen again. May I attend traffic school?" I don't know about TN, but in Cali, I can attend traffic school every 18 months.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:11 AM

whats the cost of driving school ive heard its almost as much as the ticket but then again the person that told me was a complete idiot.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by TheLoons12
whats the cost of driving school ive heard its almost as much as the ticket but then again the person that told me was a complete idiot.
It doesn't matter what the cost of driving school is. Keeping the points off your driving record and avoiding the insurance hikes are the real reason. $200 bucks for ticket + driving school fees vs. $200 for a ticket + $$$ in raised insurance premiums. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:04 AM

Do not pay!

Read this for some good info:

HOW TO BEAT A SPEEDING TICKET
http://www.norman-law.com/page6.html

-drak0
Old 03-21-2004, 08:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fight every ticket - even if you lose, you win, because they lose in court costs. Plus, nearly 25% are dismissed because the cop does not show. The prosecutor will ask for an extension, but you have to stand up and argue "You Honor, I took time to be here today, and I want my case heard today". That will usually result in a dismissal.

You should never have admitted guilt - this is an old police trick. You confessed!

Many tickets can be beat using the old radar equipment test routine - was the unit calibrated before and after your ticket, let's see the mainteneance records, etc.?

Search on TIPMRA for details.

I have also gone to court early, and looked around for an attoryney waiting ona case, and got them to argue for me for $75 easy money. Usual;ly, they can get it reduced to much less than the original charge or even driving school alternatives.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by drak0
Do not pay!

Read this for some good info:

HOW TO BEAT A SPEEDING TICKET
http://www.norman-law.com/page6.html

-drak0
[start of sarcastic comment]Perhaps you should consider not paying your federal income tax either. After all right here on the internet it clearly states that the federal income tax is illegal!![/sarcastic comment finished]

Quick Reply: First ticket... help!