S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

First Test Drive

Old 12-01-2000, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vtec...if you want head into headrest action, you need a larger displacement engine with lots of torque. The S2K has the consequence that you never feel like you're going that fast, but you really are. Torque is the head-snapping factor, not horsepower.
Old 12-02-2000, 09:07 AM

So how does this car keep up with the Boxster S, the M Roadster, the M3 Coupe?
Old 12-02-2000, 09:28 AM

Vtec,

go drive an L98 Camaro or Corvette... You will find that 345 ft-lb of torque does put you in your seat, but the engine is done pulling at about 4000rpm

Just remember, the push back in your seat doesnt mean you are going fast. I've been in trucks that could push me back in the seat... doesnt mean they were fast.

Sure the S2000 doesnt have the low end torque of larger motor-ed cars, but its still EXCELLENT for a 2800lb car with only a 2 liter engine. Imagine a Neon with a few large people inside and compare the torque to that...

Old 12-02-2000, 10:15 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally posted by Vtec:
So how does this car keep up with the Boxster S, the M Roadster, the M3 Coupe?
Well the Boxster S is Porsche's answer to our S!(40 more hp!) The M's by BMW? Well we will surely keep up! We wont trounce them but we wont be left in the dust that is for sure!

Take them into the twisties and you can pass on th outside and hold the turn. The S2000 really shines in the turns! Plus at the price it is.....ya cant beat it.

Hell if you like drop another 5-6 grand and get a SC and a TB you will then trounce the M's and Boxters!
Old 12-02-2000, 12:31 PM

The stook is not really a car for those who are new to a manual transmission.

The car has to be revved extremely high to get into insane-speed-land. Knowing the power band and staying on the top of it can be tricky.

Granted this car is easy to drive with the laser-precise shifter, but I can't help but think they you won't get all you can from it without tons of experience.
Old 12-02-2000, 01:39 PM

So what are you saying? A 22 year old can't learn to drive stick? I'm not at all worried about learning stick. I'll also make sure to take racing classes. Not a track guy, but just so I know enough to drive crazy, but not get into accidents from lack of skillz.

I think a lot of people on this board made the VTEC kick or 6,000RPM+ driving a bit overhyped. I love the car, yeah, I look forward to getting mine, yeah... but the torque is an issue. Now I know when other people complain about the lack of torque, I understand where they are coming from. I went to a BMW dealership and asked about the M Roadster... brought up the S2000... all these guys around me were telling me how a dude got the S2000 and sold it cuz you just have to wind that mother****er so much. M Roadster would run circles around the S2000. Whatever.

Also, I'm a bit worried about taking turns at a high speed with all that oversteer fear in the S2000. I'm beginning to think the learning curve is steep for this vehicle.

It's all good.
Old 12-02-2000, 01:50 PM

Vtec...

Nobody is doubting your ability to learn to drive standard.

What you should understand, though, is that you are being very critical of the S2K's performance. This criticism is based on your experience with the car (lack of experience with manual transmission) as well as ramblings by a competitor.

There's a reason why the car isn't available in automatic.

Ron
Old 12-02-2000, 02:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The S2000 happens to pull hardest between 8000 and 8500 rpm, go figure its peak power is at 8300 rpm, you gotta get it there before you know how this car behaves.

I didnt do it untill 250 miles and my freind and I looked at eachother like "holy sh**"

I waited untill the full break-in for really getting to know the car, but I trusted the claims, and right they were.
Old 12-02-2000, 02:10 PM

Fair enough, Roncone. It's very true that I have little experience with the S2000 let alone a car with a stick shift.

Even with the disappointment in the push of the car, it's just so pimp. The ladies screamed at me on the test drive. It was crazy.
Old 12-02-2000, 02:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing is that I tell people that I had to learn how to drive this car, cus it is very different from other manual cars I have driven.

It is a very demanding car at speed, but its great! If you master this car you have done something, even its handling is different.

Quick Reply: First Test Drive