S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

First Test Drive

Old 12-01-2000, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a dealer here willing to let me test drive a used S2000. Had 9,000 miles on it with all this carbon crap in the interior. They also put in heated seats which was cool.

I wanted the sales person to drive the car. They asked me why I didn't want to drive it myself. I just told them "I don't want to drive one until I get my own." The truth is, I do not know manual. I've practiced once or twice, but that was a long time ago on an Integra in an empty parking lot.

So the sales guy goes and drives on the freeway and gets off onto campus and he tells me: "If I don't let you drive this car yourself, I will die." I say no he says yes so there I am in the driver's seat.

I somehow managed to drive it back to the dealer with a couple stalls at a light. I had to start the car off in 2nd. 1st gear was a little too tricky for me.

I wish I could've enjoyed the ride, but I was so nervous and focused on getting the car moving in somewhat heavy traffic, I had a hard time really feeling it out.

Lots of engine noise, which I love, and the ride is tight. For those reviewers who found the ride and engine noise harsh, turn down your hearing aids and stick with your sedans.

I was keeping an eye on the RPM and when the car went over it, I really didn't hear or feel VTEC engagement. There also wasn't any real pull at all between 0-7000 RPM. Is this the result of the low torque in this car? Makes a lot of noise, but no real oomph.

The guy wasn't really driving to push it, but he did leave it in third gear while going 50+ which kept the revs up around 4000-5000.

Where is the supposed V8 kick that allows this car to go so fast on the top end? Is it at 7000+?

I love the car.
Old 12-01-2000, 04:19 PM

Starting in 2nd? Damn, you must have had to rev the car waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up and riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide the clutch a lot.

Funny, I thought that 1st was the gear to start in...
Old 12-01-2000, 04:28 PM

i did it real slow and the revs probably went up to 3-4K. is that bad for the clutch?
Old 12-01-2000, 04:43 PM

Um, well, it's not good. First is there for a reason.
Old 12-01-2000, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a kick out the post...must be the sadist in me! I appreciate the open nature of your post. There are lots of reasons why the car didn't pull at VTEC. The car could be completely ragged out, low on oil or more simply, neither of you know what you are doing with the car.

The car is quite peppy under 6k, and a banshee over 6K. I suggest that you take another car and learn manual. THEN get in an S2000 and drive it.

Ack, starting in second? Ouch, very bad thing...do not do this in any car that you ever own. At least not often.

Anyway, at least you got a little taste...that's more than most current owners got for a test drive...
Old 12-01-2000, 05:13 PM

As anyone here will tell you....once you've learnt how to drive a stick shift, you'll never forget how to do it. (It's the same way with riding a bicycle.) Practice changing gears on some quiet back roads until you feel fairly comfortable, then take her onto an UNCROWDED freeway. You can learn more by using that great expanse of road to practice changing gears while going in a straight line. If you just do easy changes (up and down) between 3rd and 6th, you'll be surprised how soon you'll get used to using your feet on the clutch and accelerator. Practicing good braking habits comes later, on the back roads! BTW, it helps if you have a buddy with you who can use the stick - preferably one who has a lot of patience!
Old 12-01-2000, 08:26 PM

VTEC,
What dealer was this? I'd really like to see if I could get myself a spin in the S2K. Drove one at work last summer (summer job valet) but driving in a garage doesn't allow anything.

Learn that manual!!
Old 12-01-2000, 08:33 PM

Learn manual in another car, not in the S2K. If you learn in the S2K, then you'll think all manual cars will feel the same, but they don't. Get an old Ford Pinto (if they still exist), learn in that, and then get hop into an S2K. You'll appreciate it even more.
Old 12-01-2000, 09:48 PM

I will be quite honest, but it always pains me to read a post where the driver just does not know how to drive a standard then complains about the performance.
Old 12-01-2000, 09:53 PM

I'm kinda proud of myself. Starting in second is nothing to smile about, but you gotta remember my past experience with manuals is maybe 5 minutes combined.

And, yes, I will definitely practice before I drive my own.

My walk around the car, from passenger side to driver's door, was all the time I had to review how to use the shift thingy with the clutch thingy.

A few more questions:

-The main reason I stalled is because I let off the clutch too quickly. When you guys start off in 1st, what do the revs go up to? Less than 1K? Is that the normal way to do it?

-If I learn on an Civic stick, won't it be different with the S2000 stick? The feel? Or is it if you've learned one you've learned them all?

-Greg, how did the VTEC not engage? It went over 6,000RPM. Yes, the engine was loud, but there was little to no pull and we were probably going 45 or so.

-Where's the power in this car?! I was expecting more head into headrest action. A lot more.

Quick Reply: First Test Drive