S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

first speeding ticket

Old 05-02-2004, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first speeding ticket

I was coming up on the garden state parkway from woodbridge, NJ and got pulled over by a cop in my spa 01. cop said i was doing 86 in a 55. yeah but i was only keeping up with traffic and the cop was an ass about it too. i sware that state trooper is an ass. just pulled me over cause i'm in an S keeping up with trafic.

any you guys ever get speeding tickests?

and yeah anyone know how much i have to pay let me know. ticket doesnt say it.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But you were speeding? hm those damn s2000's
Old 05-02-2004, 08:11 AM

On the back of the ticket there should be a scale of penalties that tells you how much you have to pay. The problem is not going to be with the fines; those, most can handle. But with that kind of ticket you're looking at 4 points (i believe) and your insurance is going to go up alot.

P.S. You're driving a yellow convertible sports car. I think the cop is more liekly to choose you in the crowd instead of the soccer mom in her champagne mini-van doing the same speed. You just have to be careful and get a radar detector....or not speed.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:35 AM

I have not gotten a speeding ticket in a long time. I think it is always better to try to fight the ticket rather than just pay it. If you have the time to go to court, you can often get the points reduced. Just be polite to the judge, and respectful of the officer. I have friends who have won just because the cop did not show up. I also have friends that have won for no real reason other than saying please and I did not mean it.

I would worry more about the points than the cost of the ticket

good luck
Old 05-02-2004, 09:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Darien1629
I was coming up on the garden state parkway from woodbridge, NJ and got pulled over by a cop in my spa 01. cop said i was doing 86 in a 55. yeah but i was only keeping up with traffic and the cop was an ass about it too. i sware that state trooper is an ass. just pulled me over cause i'm in an S keeping up with trafic.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That cop really didn't like you - that's a FIVE point ticket in NJ - see

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/cit_violations/...p_pnf.html#NJSA

for details.

You definitely need to go to so-called court with this one. Just talking to the persecutor (ok, prosecutor) should get you to 4, or even 2 points.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somewhat of an odd point system...

I see two codes, 39:4-52 and 39:5C-1, both with descriptions of "Racing on highway" for 5 points each. Or you can NOT go with the flow of traffic, as suggested, and get two points with 39:4-97.1, "Slow speed blocking traffic"
Old 05-02-2004, 01:45 PM

i have an idea..

www.ticketassassin.com

tired of ur insurance price going up everytime you get a ticket? i think that website would help.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by mwd473
I have not gotten a speeding ticket in a long time. I think it is always better to try to fight the ticket rather than just pay it. If you have the time to go to court, you can often get the points reduced. Just be polite to the judge, and respectful of the officer. I have friends who have won just because the cop did not show up. I also have friends that have won for no real reason other than saying please and I did not mean it.

I would worry more about the points than the cost of the ticket
good luck
I recently spent some time in traffic court. Depending on where you are located, speeders will not get any breaks. In our area, the judge didn't do anything special for speeders. Now, if you're in an area where the courts don't have time to deal with your minor traffic infraction, there is a chance they will let the points go and potentially reduce your fine. In fact, one of the guys pleading his case (speeding) had originally had four other speeding tickets in Miami. He went to court each time and had points withheld. Why? Because they don't have time to deal with this kind of stuff in Miami. They have more important court stuff to do.

However, once the judge went over his record, all the times he got off without points, and the fact that the cop had already given him a break (cop wrote him a ticket for half of what it would have been for going 15 over.....so rather than paying $186, the cop wrote him a ticket for $96, which also brought him down from 4 points to 3). After he pleaded his case over and over, the judge not only slapped him with points, but she also made him pay $250 (rather than $96) and ordered him to attend an advanced driving school (8 hours). So, remember, if you speed, you most likely won't get off.

So, if you have the chance to attend driver's education class, do that. It'll save you points and reduce your fee slightly.

I was there to contest a "no turn on red" ticket. They had recently added these signs to an intersection downtown. I didn't see them or realize it. I politely asked the judge to withhold points, and I would pay the fee ($96). So, since I WAS NOT SPEEDING, she said, "I'll go ahead and withhold points and give you 60 days to pay the $96 fee.

So, you're probably wondering why I didn't go to driver's school? Well, first of all, I've already gone five times (max allowed in Florida). Four were for speeding, and one for "rolling through a stop sign."

Also, if you have the option to do the school and have points withheld, save it for speeding offenses since you will most likely not get any breaks (trust me, there were other people there for speeding, and none of them got off).

If it's for a minor violation (no turn on red, illegal turn, etc), you can fight those in court, have points withheld and pay the fee.

Now you know.

My boss had a chance as part of a local community program (Chamber Leadership Program) to spend an entire day in traffic court and see how it works. She told me the exact same thing. Speeders won't get off, but many others did for minor offenses.

And you could get lucky if the officer doesn't show up. But not in my case (or the other's that day). My officer was busy giving tickets. They also get paid overtime to attend court. So they most likely WILL SHOW UP.

And if you schedule yourself for a court date and don't show up, you will be hating life. One guy did that. The judge announced that if he had just showed up, she would not have assessed court costs. But since he didn't show, not only did she find him guilty (he couldn't prove his case if he wasn't there), but she assessed court costs. OUCH!

Nate
Old 05-02-2004, 03:12 PM

You should go to www.motorists.org

You haven't told us anything about the ticket itself. Where was the cop, what was the terrain like, the weather, Etc.

If you were in a group of cars he could not have gotten you specifically on radar. Etc. and so on.

Quick Reply: first speeding ticket