S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

First photos of installed clear diffusers

Old 08-31-2002, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks great! Wonder how hard it is for me to re-open my housing with all that black silicon sealant? I have a good layer out the outside.

Any pics from further away?
Old 08-31-2002, 11:00 PM

oh my god... i should wear the one and only good looking suit that i have before Rick took those pics... but seriously they look awsome in person... i hope i can get my set of clear diffuser before the show...

JFY
Old 08-31-2002, 11:23 PM

that looks nice!!
i am wishing that the process of changing it out is not such a pain in the butt ...
Old 09-01-2002, 12:19 AM

oh man, that's nice~~~
Old 09-01-2002, 01:52 AM

i need some daytime pics...
i think the blue bulbs cheapen the car a bit...
i didn't feel that way when i had them in my silver 99 TL, however, now looking at it... i'm not too much of fan!
again, the diffuser looks nice,but perhaps a daytime pic, w/the lights and blinker on would be better and of course some w/out any lights on.
knowing airgate, he'd supply us w/8 pics from each angle he can think of!
Old 09-01-2002, 02:16 AM

i agree that the us reflectors look more agressive than the jdm ones, but those blue bulbs, the h.i.d. look-a-likes, are rice
Old 09-01-2002, 03:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I make a request? Lets discontinue the discussion about the hyper whites or put it on another thread. I only mentioned it because of the blue cast it gave the diffusers when photographed. This post is about the diffusers and I didn't intend it to become a discussion about the bulbs. I'm especially annoyed about the "rice"comment -- I consider it racist.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:17 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick, how much bending did it take to get the clear diffuser on? So is the material of the clear diffuser much softer then the original amber? I'm wondering if this will be a problem since I plan on doing a few of these for local folks.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbo_pwr,

Not much at all. It's not a brittle plastic and not as hard as the stock amber piece. In the installation -- at least from watching jfys2k do the job -- I think the pliability is an advantage. For example, jfys2k was able to bend the two hooks a bit where they fit over the tabs on the reflectors. It's not that the plastic is soft -- it isn't, and the details are quite crisp and sharp. Every detail in the stock piece has been replicated in the clear version. It's just that it can be bent a bit in the way the stock piece can't.

In fact, before we began the installation we were all very nervous about breaking the diffusers, since we had only one set, and so we handled them with great care. I was especially worried about droping them. As it turns out, they're probably not very subject to breakage.

Any thoughts about this, jfys2k?

BTW, anyone who is thinking about doing this conversion should be aware that it is not a job for a beginner. It's not super-difficult, but you have to have some expereience working with tools and cars. There are some bolts that are difficult to reach, you can make missteps and damage the lamps or the HID bulb (expensive to replace!), and you have to pay attention to detail and be meticulous in your work habits. If you don't have these skills, get help from someone who does, like jfys2k.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:37 AM

I was part of the fortunate bunch to witness the very first set of US spec clear diffusers in person. Those lights look SOOOOO good at night, I drove past my exit on the freeway and traveled 10 more exits down w/ Airgate just to check them out in my rear view mirrors. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these before the waiting list grows any longer.....

I have some pictures to share, will post them soon. Rick, these are very good quality products, very much impressed and thanks for doing this

Quick Reply: First photos of installed clear diffusers