S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

first mods

Old 06-06-2007, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skittzomaniac,Mar 8 2005, 08:27 AM
imho, decide what you're biggest mod will be ( are you going FI? stroker? or just little stuff?) and get it first. that way you don't waste any money. if you just plan on nickel and diming the little bolt ons, then i'd get the gears.
i so agree. trust everyone that says gears are the best bang for the buck...it makes the car so much better without spending 5+ grand on turbo or supercharger.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:47 AM

am lookin in to NA right now thrs so many options around i dont no what to do! what would i need NA wise? cams ........... also what work is involved with installing thes parts just need to sum up all my options and see how much things are going to cost etc, does the diff come with the gears as a kit? if not were would i get 1 from
Old 06-06-2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by a3lkx,Jun 6 2007, 01:47 PM
am lookin in to NA right now thrs so many options around i dont no what to do! what would i need NA wise? cams ........... also what work is involved with installing thes parts just need to sum up all my options and see how much things are going to cost etc, does the diff come with the gears as a kit? if not were would i get 1 from
There are really no cams out there that really net any kind of gains on the S.
If your staying NA get the following:

Gears: 4.77's or whatever floats your boat there
Exhaust: decide if you want dual or single and then narrow it down from there
Test Pipe: doesn't really matter it a little piece of straight piping
Header: Berk is probably the best cheaper header, J's is suppose to make good power but is a lot more.
Some kind of tuning: Apexi Neo is probably the cheapest route, Greddy E-Manage would be better but is more expensive and takes more to install/tune
Intake: there are many options here. I like the K&N FIPK and AUT cooling plate combo if your going for performance and cheaper cost. Mugen or J's are really nice but are $$$. You also have to modify your hood or buy a new one to fit the intake.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:03 AM

i was thinking along the lines of cams valves sprigs retainers etc pullys header airfilter
Old 06-06-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by a3lkx,Jun 6 2007, 02:03 PM
i was thinking along the lines of cams valves sprigs retainers etc pullys header airfilter
You are just wasting your money if you do cams, valve springs, retainers, etc.
You are going to see very little if any gain from the cams and if you install Ti valve springs and retainers you are going to have to replace them a lot sooner than the stockers. Unless you are going to rev higher into the rpm's there is no need to replace them. If you are planning on doing that you will have to be tuned to do so. Some sort of flash that will allow the higher red line or a stand alone ECU like AEM EMS.
Some people run pulleys and report not too much gain there either. The a/c cuts out at WOT anyways so that pulley is useless to replace. I wouldn't mess with the crank pulley as I have seen bad things happen there.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by a3lkx,Jun 6 2007, 11:47 AM
what's involved in installing N/A parts? Oh just a couple hours and you should have em all installed on your car jk jk Sorry.

I second everything that's been said so far. I love my gears, I think the other little bolt ons make the car sound and feel a little better, and the combination of all of these feels great because you're making the car your own.

We all love power but I think the most exciting part of customizing and modding for a good portion of the market is making the car something that nobody else has exactly.

Have fun with it!
Old 06-06-2007, 01:07 PM

cheers guys i realy dont no what i want yet, still undesided thrs alot of options all i want to do is hit vtec as quick as possible ie better ecceleration
Old 06-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by a3lkx,Jun 6 2007, 05:07 PM
cheers guys i realy dont no what i want yet, still undesided thrs alot of options all i want to do is hit vtec as quick as possible ie better ecceleration
You might want to proofread before you post.... that made my head hurt just trying to decifer it..

I think there are 100+ first mod/best bang for the buck mod threads in s2000talk. Establish a budget first and go from there.

Just my $.02
Old 06-06-2007, 01:58 PM

I have to agree with all those who have said that on an NA car, gears are the biggest bang for the buck. Even with my FI setup the modest gear change I've made (I have 4.30:1 gears) is a nice improvement.

My old AEM V1 sounded awsome, but then I'm an induction noise junkie.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

My planned "mods:"

-Glove box organizer (check)
-maintenance: Replace coolant, MT fluid, diff fluid, oil change, etc etc. Not a "mod" but needs to be done on a recently-purchased used car
-Stereo (HU, component speakers, amp)
-Voodoo Shift knob
-Maybe the K&N FIPK

Snow tires? That count? I'd like a trunk saddlebag, but $300?

That's about it.

Quick Reply: first mods