S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

First Gear Starts?

Old 06-16-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
more practice and patience, less thinking
This. If you start thinking about it too much, you're going to over complicate it.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Slowly
I tend to aim for 1500 revs to get me going.
Likewise, less and I get lugging/engine knock. Take it to 1500, modulate the throttle to maintain until clutch is fully released. For quicker starts, I guestimate I double it and release the clutch in about half the time. Best advice I can give is time your lights so you can roll most of them.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by clag
Originally Posted by Mr. Slowly' timestamp='1402940881' post='23205336
I tend to aim for 1500 revs to get me going.
Best advice I can give is time your lights so you can roll most of them.
And realize anyone honking if you stall doesn't know how to drive stick. I am amazed when I see stick drivers learning and people laying on the horn.

I am relearning as I got a lighter flywheel a few months ago. I would try to feel out the clutch and gas instead of paying attention to the dash rpm's. Let the clutch out in one smooth movement while giving it some gas. Stop and go practice in a multi level parking lot is useful early in the morning.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:47 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

As you can see from the above posts, every driver is a little different. Also inclines will change the entire formula. Learn to give it just enough gas to get it going smoothly in every situation by listening to the engine and feeling the cars reaction to the clutch pedal as you release it. After 43 years of driving manuals, I still stall, shudder or slip the clutch now and then so don't be too hard on yourself. And don't feel bad if you cannot start your car moving without applying the throttle as some above seem to be suggesting. That is not even possible in my car.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with learning the clutch. Find a mild incline and use the clutch to hold you in place without the brakes or gas. This is your friction point, and in time you will develop muscle memory in you left leg to find it without thinking. Applying the gas and release of the clutch will then become situational to how fast you need to drive off.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:21 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
I had been driving manuals for about 12 years before picking up my S, and I still had issues starting in 1st gear smoothly sometimes. Seems that the s2000 is a little finicky, or maybe it was just mine.

When I was tought to drive at a young age, my father told me to use the method above. Learn how to get the car rolling without adding any throttle.

I am the same... Been driving manuals for a long time, but I still have issues starting in the S2000. My other two vehicles have lots of torque (STi and a diesel), so it's not helping me with the S2000. I find I need to rev it up a bit and ride the clutch a little.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Originally Posted by AE_Racer' timestamp='1402922890' post='23204894
I had been driving manuals for about 12 years before picking up my S, and I still had issues starting in 1st gear smoothly sometimes. Seems that the s2000 is a little finicky, or maybe it was just mine.

When I was tought to drive at a young age, my father told me to use the method above. Learn how to get the car rolling without adding any throttle.

I am the same... Been driving manuals for a long time, but I still have issues starting in the S2000. My other two vehicles have lots of torque (STi and a diesel), so it's not helping me with the S2000. I find I need to rev it up a bit and ride the clutch a little.
Same here, the clutch engagement points between my AP2 and EM1 are like night and day. When I switch between the two I have to drive a few miles just to get used to it again. I don't seem to have that problem with my girlfriend's Cooper S though.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:36 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

clutch in the TSX is WAY stiffer than my AP2...very different engagement as well....oh and the key slots are in very different places as well
Old 06-27-2014, 06:36 AM

As a beginner in Driving stick I find it that once you know how to engage first it shouldn't take much. Best method would be Tio go to a empty parking lot and practice smoothness. Let go of clutch slowly and once you feel the engine giving out you know before that you need to give it gas. Just don't smash on the throttle.

What I find a little frustrating for me I'd when up shifting sometimes a don't give enough gas when reaplying the clutch in gear and feel a little bump getting in. Giving a little more gas before getting in gear makes it shift smoothly.

Sent from my LT30a using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2014, 12:31 PM

I've been driving manuals for over 20 years now. Yeah, I'm older. Stop looking at the tach and get used to the feel of the clutch and the sound of the engine. It's more of "feel" than something mathematical. The more you drive it, the better you'll get and the safer you'll be driving it. You need different revs for different situations, depending how fast you want to move. Leaving a stop light at 1500 rpms under normal conditions is different than when you're trying to get across oncoming traffic and you need to move a bit quicker. Just like everything else, practice, practice, practice. Once again, stop looking at the tach and feel the force young Jedi. Geez, that sounds nerdy!

Quick Reply: First Gear Starts?