S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Finding the "Right" Car for Me

Old 09-16-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche5,Sep 16 2009, 04:12 PM
Now, I apologize for not reading the entire thread. But then you're comparing an S2000 (roadster), 370Z (coupe), and EvoX (sedan), it sounds like you don't really know what you want. And in all honesty, maybe you shouldn't be looking at other people to help make your decision when you are comparing apples and oranges. The S2000's typical competitors are the BMW Z4, Porsche Boxster, and Mazda MX-5.
You're completely right in saying that these cars are at different tiers in performance. My whole plan by picking one of these cars go strictly into fun factor and which car I'd be less bored with over time.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 PM

sorry i didn't get back to you last week. been recovering from surgery. if you still want a ride, let me know when. im free every day after 6pm if you're going to be in the miami area. send me a pm.

you should drive an s2000 before you make your decision.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely test drive an s2000 before making a purchase. You can pick up a low mileage ap2 for ~$22k and go FI and still be way under your budget. It will be super fast and super fun to drive.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you'd be much happier with the Z than the Evo in the long term.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by aCab,Sep 7 2009, 07:29 PM
I'm in College. I don't feel the need for a backseat. :dunno:
Old 09-17-2009, 05:18 PM

So I just got back from getting a ride in an ap1 and let me tell you... Going WOT on the car then hitting VTEC is great, slicing through a turn like your on rails is even greater! I had an opportunity to get into the passenger seat with an awesome member on the forums (don't know if he wants me to keep it secret) and he was real great about the whole thing. Getting to talk with a real enthusiast persuaded me to actually get excited about this car.

He did offer to let me drive, but I didn't want to **** up the car or get in trouble with it so I decided to pass. Soon after we had some unforeseen circumstances and we decided to go back. Anyways, it really put that in my head that I really need to drive this car. So I did, I searched for about an hour for a dealership with a used ap2 and I told the salesman I wasn't interested unless I saw it's real potential.

It was about 8:30p ~ish that we actually got to go out. The car has decent acceleration until your in VTEC, and KA-POW! I took the car over and over on the on-ramps and kept going around and around to feel the handling on this car. This thing really does feel like a go-kart; as soon as I got in my car... It felt like a POS with no response at all!

I got to talk with the GM at another dealer about getting an s2000, but he has none in stock. So what we're gonna do is see if we can do a dealer trade with another dealership out of state. We'll see!
Old 09-17-2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Benihana,Sep 17 2009, 05:18 PM
So I just got back from getting a ride in an ap1 and let me tell you... Going WOT on the car then hitting VTEC is great, slicing through a turn like your on rails is even greater! I had an opportunity to get into the passenger seat with an awesome member on the forums (don't know if he wants me to keep it secret) and he was real great about the whole thing. Getting to talk with a real enthusiast persuaded me to actually get excited about this car.

He did offer to let me drive, but I didn't want to **** up the car or get in trouble with it so I decided to pass. Soon after we had some unforeseen circumstances and we decided to go back. Anyways, it really put that in my head that I really need to drive this car. So I did, I searched for about an hour for a dealership with a used ap2 and I told the salesman I wasn't interested unless I saw it's real potential.

It was about 8:30p ~ish that we actually got to go out. The car has decent acceleration until your in VTEC, and KA-POW! I took the car over and over on the on-ramps and kept going around and around to feel the handling on this car. This thing really does feel like a go-kart; as soon as I got in my car... It felt like a POS with no response at all!

I got to talk with the GM at another dealer about getting an s2000, but he has none in stock. So what we're gonna do is see if we can do a dealer trade with another dealership out of state. We'll see!
Good to hear. Good luck on the search!
Old 09-17-2009, 07:46 PM

Great to hear that you've chosen the S! Can you give a comparison on it compared to the Evo and 370Z driving-wise (acceleration, handling, steering and transmission feel, etc)? I looked at those cars but wasn't able to actually drive either, so I'd love to hear your opinions
Old 09-18-2009, 06:00 AM

See you really need to drive one before making a decision

The Z is a very nice car also though you won't be disappointed with either, I could see myself getting bored of the evo pretty quickly it just doesn't have that "wow" factor
Old 09-20-2009, 09:23 AM

Go test drive the other cars too. The Evo X is also a really fun car to drive...especially in slippery conditions too. It feels like a RWD car with a ton of grip. The shifter is kind of shitty compared to the S2000's and of course it's not a convertible, but overall, the fun factor is still there, it's a faster car in all conditions, every aspect, and it does have extra seats (pro or con depending on how you feel.) It's worth taking a look though.

I can't really comment on the 370Z other than to say that most carmags seem to like it. I've driven and tracked a 350Z automatic, which I didn't really like too much, but the 370Z is supposed to be pretty rad, so test drive that too.

Quick Reply: Finding the "Right" Car for Me