S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Finding the "Right" Car for Me

Old 09-07-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding the "Right" Car for Me

Hey guys,

I've been pondering over this since I've been on the last time. I ended up going to the dealership and test drove the 370z; I loved everything about the car. I was just about to write the check and drive off the lot with the car, but I decided to wait on it thinking that this was an impulse buy. I really didn't want to come out asking for this time of comparison, but I really have to go by feedback from others to get a general idea of what I'd like to do.

The 370z, S2000, and Evolution X are my top candidates for cars that I'd like to choose from. I would have made my decision up by now, but dealers won't ever let me get on the gas, the highway, or give me any sort of reasonable seat-time with the car to get used to them... The only car I haven't test driven yet is the Evolution X. I'll probably be planning for a day to go and test them all back-to-back; I'll end up in the same predicament of not being about to "drive" them surely though.

The 370z and S2000 both feel great, but I haven't compared them back-to-back. Hence the reason why I can't make up my decision... From what I've witnessed with the s2000, it feels great in terms of driver control. Shifter is SUPER smooth, clutch is nice (not too on-and-off but direct), and driving up the RPMs with that lovely exhaust note is great. The downfall on my test drive is that I never even got into VTEC territory, I drove within a neighborhood (not a highway or open road), and the dealer controlled all my actions -- not really a test drive eh? Some cons about purchasing an s2000 in my mind are the soft top (not really a fan especially in FL and I'd put a hardtop in an instant), the high RPMs sans low torque engine, and don't want to regret my purchase.

The 370z test drive was the same, in a neighborhood along with no curvy roads nor time to actually get on the gas pedal. Keep in mind, these are new cars so I don't want to be ruining a car for someone who wants to buy it, so I didn't want to do anything like go WOT. Interior was an upgrade to the s2000 and the car looked amazing. Clutch and throttle felt a little light, but the acceleration was smooth. Overall, I wouldn't have expected less from Nissan's Z creation.

I'd expect the Evo to give the same sensations that both of the other cars give in respect to the AWD control and Turbo. The only thing that I can't get out of my head is if the Evolution X's Turbo and "confidence inspiring" handling will win me over in contrast to the handling and acceleration of the s2000 and 370z. In more specific detail, do I actually want to prefer the increased seat pushing ability of a turbo 4-banger with handling that makes anyone look like the best; or would the s2000 and 370z satiate my appetite with their delivery of acceleration and handling characteristics.

Putting two-and-two together, I still haven't gotten a chance to directly compare these cars and I'd like to get feedback from others. While I'll try and get these answers myself... I'd like to pick the car that makes me WANT to actually drive it when I have any spare time, be able to accelerate and handle turns resulting in massive grins to my face (also being able to scare some girls I know when getting on it ), and ideally be the car I want to keep and even maybe purchase another down the road. This car was intended to be pure, heart-pounding FUN; I already have a DD and want a car that is deserving of the criteria I want in a car -- Acceleration that I can feel (don't want to be pressing on the pedal thinking I'm at 45 when in actuality I'm at 70), and handling that makes me smile all the time.

I already feel like the 370z and s2000 are what I've been leaning on towards this whole time, I just need that little push to acknowledge it. Some answers I'd like to put out before anyone else would care to mention.... Yes, I know this is an s2000 biased site, but everyone has come from anyone of the cars that I mention and from all sites I frequent, this site is the most mature... I know that I should test drive these cars back-to-back and get MY own feeling, but I'd like feedback from others and I feel I wont get to see the TRUE potential of any of these cars by just testing new cars off the lot.

This post has been extremely long, but I just want to make sure I'm not regretting my purchase -- I won't be purchasing another car until I've finished college and moved onto bigger things. If anyone who does understand the type of situation I'm in, lives within South FL, and would like to help me get some REAL seat time (expecting to sit in the passenger seat LOL)... Then I'd love to compensate your time -- Take you out to eat or something haha. Anyways, thanks in advance for reading!
Old 09-07-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I've never driven a 370Z but it sounds like a great car. I think the best advice I can give is go with whichever you think looks the best. The sports car in your garage should weaken your knees a little every time you walk past it, otherwise you'll have regrets.

Did the 370Z you test drove have the synchro-revmatch system? Did you like it? I really love blipping the throttle on my own in the s2k. Sounds awesome and makes you feel like a better driver than you probably really are when you nail three in a row perfectly approaching a slow corner.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:09 PM

I considered all three of these (as well as a few others such as STi, 135i) before getting my car, and in the end it came down to how pure and timeless the S2000 is as a sports car and the fact that I've just always wanted one unlike the others which felt like they'd be inferior once a "better" version came out. The two things that really pushed me away from the Z in the end were the looks and the engine. The engine in the 370 is known for being very thrashy and it vibrates a lot over about 5,000 RPM. If you read the new Motor Trend driver's car comparo, you'll get a better explanation of this, but I don't think I could drive a sports car that almost feels like it's damaging itself when revving high. The interior and tech in the 370 might make up for this to you though, depends what you value most. In the end I chose the car that I could see myself keeping for a long time, it isn't the "latest and the greatest" but it's a car that I've always lusted after and the feeling of finally having one is better to me than what the newer cars offer.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're in college. Get something with a back seat.

I'd pick a base WRX for the hatch and save the rest for beer and pizza.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:31 PM

370z is a great car. Great power through the rev range and it was more comfortable cruising at 80mph. I got to do a pretty extensive test drive and I didn't want to get out.....but once I got back into the S everything just felt right and I knew I couldn't let it go anytime soon....there is just something intangible that draws me back.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Benihana,Sep 7 2009, 07:37 PM
until I've finished college
If someone is buying the car for you and money is no object, I'd get the Evo.

If not, and if you are set on these 3 cars, then save a ton of cash and get a low mileage used S2000.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:20 PM

I love my S, but one thing I've been irritated with lately is the poor clutch. I'm not one to do burnouts much at all, but there are times I like to take off quickly, and you just can't do that in the S. My clutch doesn't slip at all, and other than that it drives perfectly. I believe the S is made strictly for quick shifting and great handling in the twisties, and it's perfect in that regard. My .02.

You have to ask yourself what kind of driving you will most likely do, and what you want out of the car. Great handling, power, etc.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by CKit,Sep 7 2009, 10:31 PM
You're in college. Get something with a back seat.

I'd pick a base WRX for the hatch and save the rest for beer and pizza.
I'm in College. I don't feel the need for a backseat. :dunno:
Old 09-07-2009, 07:44 PM

honestly, i would get a WRX too.

as far as the 370z, the auto synchro revmatch whatever is HOT!!!!!

the S is dated against those other cars you have. interior, engine, but not the hadnling. but really, the S will be one of those "classic" cars imo.

the only other thing the S has is gas mileage. drive liek a gramma and i get 26mpg city and 31 highway.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:03 PM

I went through the same debate. It was S2000, STI, Evo9, or Legacy wagon (this was the "reasonable" choice. I've personally never been a fan of the Z3xx styling). All the other cars felt like "disposable" cars that would get junked when they break down.

The S has the timeless sports car feel; 20 years from now it'll still be cool, just older. I sit down, and everything feels "just right" for a drive. It's like an Austin Healy or MG. I'd like to say Porsche Speedster, but I realize that's reaching a bit.

Quick Reply: Finding the "Right" Car for Me