S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

finally happened to me.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default finally happened to me.

After the last 6 months of always being scared of leaving my car at my girlfriends place when i stayed over I came out to this.
It is not even a bad area either (gated , not that it stops anyone from just following another car in)

They attempted to steal the stereo(alpine cde-123 ($150 bucks, big deal, dumb thieves dont even know what they are stealing)
Sad thing is, they didnt even just push the faceplate release, they tried prying it out and ended up bending all to hell the deck itself, and then they took the faceplate
Now I know this topic has been beat to death, but i am curious what any of you State Farm insured customers have done for repair,....do they give you the choice as to get it fixed or take the assessed value of damage in a check?...my thinking would be of course to come out on top, since i know the labor is ridiculous ,....can i just get a damn hard top already with the money and gut the soft top myself???
Old 07-15-2012, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to see that. I'd rather hand someone the headunit out of my car if I knew it meant they wouldn't slash the top. Call me old and naive, but why can't people just leave stuff alone.

Not sure on the insurance. Seems like they all handle things differently.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry that you got vandalized. That really sucks. I hate vandals and thieves.

You will not "come out on top" in an insurance claim. The best you can expect to do is to hope you have up-to-date current replacement cost coverage, and not actual cash value. ACV will take into account depreciation, and that means usually you won't get full replacement cost. Plus, you most likely have a deductible to contribute to the loss, so that is money out of your pocket.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen this countless times over the years and it still hurts looking at it.

Sorry this happened to you. f@#king good for nothing lowlives..
Old 07-15-2012, 01:40 PM

best thing i can tell you to do is get an estimate for the top at a honda dealer(it will be the most expensive) then get an estimate on labor to replace it at the most expensive shop you can find...usually they will cut you a check and then you can juat buy a robbins top and install it yourself to recoop some of the money
Old 07-15-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch... soft top looks to be in pristine condition too

Did you not have an aftermarket alarm/proximity sensor? or were they disarmed by the thieves?
Old 07-15-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

i did take care of my top religiously....its still the original top from 04.
i had the factory alarm but i think that only goes off if the car is unlocked the wrong way...notice the shoe print on the door??..they just hopped right in. I seriously hope this person tries to sell the face plate,..i will be first in line to say
Old 07-15-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Sorry to hear it. I think state farm is going to try and 'fix' the soft top which is not something you want.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:22 PM

Sorry to see that.
Happened to me while traveling this May. Parked my car on a NY street for 3 days. Nothing happened.
President Obama came to the city for a commencement speech. They decided to change the route and use the street I parked. (yes we checked everyday to make sure if the street needed to be cleared). I even asked a police officer if I should move my car. They told me I don't have to.
Either way, police moved my car early in the morning to another street and found it like this:

Nothing was stolen as I didn't leave anything in the car.
Statefarm tried really hard to help me, but it was such a headache doing it far from home, (besides I was staying at my friend's place).

Found a nice shop where they fixed everything in 3 days (order the part, installing, and pick up day). I had to pay the comprehensive deductible though. (I changed my policy to $0 comprehensive ded. and the rate went up $5/month!!!!!!!)

Call your insurance. Reps don't know what S2000 is, but I found that they are willing to help. (I talked on the phone that day at least for 4~5 hours) I am not sure how much you can get for the depreciated value though. I didn't claim it for the top.
Hope you take your time and find an OEM top. Mine was an aftermarket replacement, but I didn't have a choice. I had to get it fixed ASAP as it all happened the morning I was going to leave.

Good luck and hope everything works well.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Screw those thieves dude!

Quick Reply: finally happened to me.