S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Finally - a day at the track (very long)

Old 08-29-2001, 10:01 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 315 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Finally - a day at the track (very long)

Buttonwillow Raceway (outside of Bakersfield, CA) dedicates a few Saturdays a year to High Performance Driving Clinics. The HPDCs are all-day instructional events for drivers of pretty much any street-legal car, and any experience level. Among the participants last Saturday were myself, TFota, another S2000 (rented for the day!), four WRXs, a few 996 Carreras, a 996 Turbo, and a Viper GTS. There were also, of course, plenty of Mustangs, Corvettes, BMW M3s (no E46s, though), and Japanese rods of all makes. I'd guess there were about 40 cars total.

A group of instructors, all of them experienced racers, provide a little bit of classroom instruction and a LOT of track time (I ran some 125 miles on the track over the course of the day). This was my first track event, or performance event of any kind, and since I was eager to see what my car could do, I also gave an instructor the chance to drive a couple of hot laps. Here are some impressions and highlights from the day...

First and foremost, what a car the S2000 is! I'd had an inkling of what it could do, but I was impressed at how fast I was able to go right off the blocks, especially in comparison to the other cars. Balance, steering, power, and braking were all just superb.

Scott, the instructor I spent the most time with, seemed genuinely impressed. He had never driven one before, and immediately upon settling into the driver's seat commented, "Wow, everything just falls right to hand." When driving, he repeatedly praised the engine and transmission, and also was surprised that the stock S02s had such great grip. Finally, he assessed the balance of the car as "awesome, especially for a stock car."

On Scott's first hotlap, we raced up behind a certain Dodge, and he quipped, "Let's have some Viper for lunch." In just a couple more turns, the Viper waved us by... Later, while I was driving, we came up behind one of the 996s, and he too waved us by. "Looks like Viper AND Porsche for lunch today," Scott said. "Not bad for a little Honda." Not bad, indeed!

Some other notes:
- I didn't experience any fade from the stock brakes (with DOT4 brake fluid).
- My tires were CHEWED UP at the end of the day, but still have decent tread left. I think I can do at least one or two more track events.
- I got some synchro grind into 2nd and 3rd occasionally (even Scott experienced this once, so it's not just me)... So I'm finally going to get those damn TSBs done.
- I averaged about 8 miles per gallon.
- It was eminently clear, watching Scott drive, how all the mods in the world won't make up for skill. Bone stock, this car has a lot more capability than I can take advantage of. It just seemed to sing with pleasure while Scott was driving -- I almost felt guilty getting back in to drive...almost.

If any of you SoCal-ers get a chance, I highly recommend this event. The next one is Dec. 1, and I think I might just be there...

John

P.S. TFota, it was great meeting you and Sue! Hope you had a safe and pleasant trip back...

Old 08-29-2001, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up and nice picture!
Old 08-29-2001, 10:25 PM

That is fantastic John,
It really sounded like you the track bug in you. I did my first track event with BMWCCA back in 1991 and have since share the same enthusiasm you have with your first track event.

Just wanted to say Congrats with a safe track day and hope to see you at one of these one of these days.

Btw. If you have the urge and cant wait till December . check out WWW.Speedtrialusa.com They are having an event on November and it's at streets willow springs. It's my favorite track. I'm expecting a few S2k's at that event.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:29 PM

I'm jealous.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:36 PM

Where can I get some info about these events? Sounds like a great way to get started...
Old 08-29-2001, 11:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drogers
[B]Where can I get some info about these events?
Old 08-30-2001, 03:52 AM
S2R

Great post. Thanks for all the details. I'm surprised the brake pads didn't fade or get cooked. I always thought the oem pads couldn't take long periods of time on the track.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 315 Likes on 149 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drogers
[B]Where can I get some info about these events?
Old 08-30-2001, 10:50 AM

John,

Sounds like you had a great time. I always wanted to do one of these events. Maybe we can get a caravan of S2Ks to go up for the next event.

By the way, did you have to change out your brake fluid after the event??
Old 08-30-2001, 04:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Davies2k
[B]

For local events you might want to see WWW.Speedtrialusa.com.

Quick Reply: Finally - a day at the track (very long)