S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Filling up for gas (amusing)

Old 03-29-2001, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my Yellow S2000 for a few days now. Today I finally got low on Gas and decided it was time to fill her up. I pulled up to the pump and got out getting ready to get the gas going. As I was standing outside of the driver's door a thought kept running through my head..."How the hell do I get the gas tank open?"

In all my past cars it was clear on how to open the Gas Tank. Yet, I stood outside my S2000 dumbfounded. Of course today was the one day that I forget to bring my Owner's Manual. So as I fumbled around in the dark for 10-15 minutes looking for the handle, I couldn't believe that it was this well concealed. Well sure enough 15 minutes after I pulled up to the gas station my frustration went away and I finally found the release handle.

I don't know if its the S2000 and Honda's placing of the release handle or if it was just me tonight, but after I got her gassed up and ready to go I was off...

Now my question to you all is this...Did anyone else run into anything like this? Or is it just me? I thought it was rather amusing when I drove off
Old 03-29-2001, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehe...my dealer was completely CLUELESS about the car when I picked mine up. I didn't get any kind of explanation about anything. But they were very fair and honest, so that was cool...

But the first time that I filled up, I didn't know where the release was either. I figured it had to be a mechanical release, i.e., a cable, so I looked in the door jamb and there it was. A stroke of luck, to be sure!

Old 03-29-2001, 09:21 PM

HeHe....I did that too when I went to get gas for the first time. I felt so dumb that day!!!!
Old 03-29-2001, 09:22 PM

I had to hunt to find it, too.

You may have a similar problem looking for the dip stick.

My wife went to fill the car up once, and she gave up. She just drove home and let me deal with it.

Heh, I checked everywhere. It was dark tonight and the lighting around the gas station was bad so it took me a while. I got my car out of state so nothing was explained to me I finally got lucky and started pulling and tugging on everything I could get my hands onto.
Old 03-29-2001, 09:40 PM

Given that most every Honda since our 83 Prelude has had the fuel door in the same location, I wonder who really builds this car

I too did the same thing, and I bought my car used. They didn't know about the secret compartment (neither did I) nor did I know the manual was there. The dealer told me they would order me one.

Anyhow, I drove back to the dealer and this really nice looking female sales rep found the release really quickly...
Old 03-29-2001, 10:13 PM

Hhahahahha Couldn't find the handle the first time, and there was a line forming behind me and it was getting a little embarrassing so I had to leave without filling up. Drove to next station and took another 15mins before...
Old 03-29-2001, 10:18 PM

Jay, join the club...I had to call my dealer from the gas station to ask them "Where the heck is the release button?" Of course they were clueless so they had to look on the manual...BTW, did you find the "secret" compartment?
Old 03-29-2001, 11:17 PM

My dealer was very good on the hand over and covered all these little points but even so I read the manual!

Quick Reply: Filling up for gas (amusing)