S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

A few s2000 gripes/concerns? Passenger door locking, and conv top

Old 07-02-2002, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DOOR LOCKS.
If you unlock your S2000 by hitting the button once on the remote( I know hitting twice will do both), the passenger side door still stays locked. Now, there doesn't seem to be a way to unlock the passenger door after this point unless you physically reach over and unlock it yourself. The power door lock control on the driver side won't let you unlock the passenger door. Anyone know a way around this?

Or if you lock the doors via the driver door lock control, you can't unlock the passenger side lock unless you reach over and do it.

Convertible top.
Has anyone modified the switch so you can put the top up while moving at slow speeds instead of coming to a full stop with the Ebrake on? It sure would be nice not to stop, to put the top up. I would never do this going over 5mph of course and it would be nice to do it without being still. I know Honda put that safety feature in there for a reason, but I'd like to change it a bit.

Any ideas?
Old 07-02-2002, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The real problem with the door locks is that you can't unlock the passenger door without reaching across the driver's seat if the key is in the ignition. If the key is not in the ignition, and it's in your hand, you can press the unlock button twice to unlock the passenger door.

For the convertible top override, you would have to override both the emergency brake and (temporarily) the speed sensor. Sounds like too much work to me.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Destiny2002
[B]The real problem with the door locks is that you can't unlock the passenger door without reaching across the driver's seat if the key is in the ignition.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason B
[B]DOOR LOCKS.
If you unlock your S2000 by hitting the button once on the remote( I know hitting twice will do both), the passenger side door still stays locked.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:30 PM

All of the other cars I've owned - let you unlock all doors via the driver side door lock control, whether with the key in the ignition. I just don't understand their logic.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Jason B

Well, what's annoying is when you are picking someone up and the car is running, you don't want to turn the car off and pull the key out to unlock that door. So in-turn, you have to reach over, since the remote will only work when the key is OUT of the ignition. Weird.
I'd carry my valet key in my wallet for this, but it's way too fat.

(The key, not my wallet )
Old 07-02-2002, 06:20 PM

Check out this site:

http://www.baustnet.com/honda/mods/index.htm
Old 07-02-2002, 07:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If only the 'search' function was working, I could link you the thread where I added a switch just under the dash in front of the driver's left knee. With this switch, I can unlock the passenger lock. For the time being, I'll post these pics just so you can get an idea of what I did. I won't explain it here. It's just too long.

Old 07-03-2002, 04:18 AM

The Aussie delivered one as far as I know, will unlock the passenger door if you unlock the drivers door from the inside.

ie. get in, start the car, drive, decide you want to lock the doors, lock the drivers door (passenger door automatically locks).

if someone needs to get in, just unlock drivers door, and passenger door will also unlock.

Have I missed what you guy's were saying? Or don't US delivered S2k's do this?

wil..
Old 07-03-2002, 04:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by wilch
The Aussie delivered one as far as I know, will unlock the passenger door if you unlock the drivers door from the inside.

ie. get in, start the car, drive, decide you want to lock the doors, lock the drivers door (passenger door automatically locks).

if someone needs to get in, just unlock drivers door, and passenger door will also unlock.

Have I missed what you guy's were saying? Or don't US delivered S2k's do this?

wil..

On the US models, both doors will lock when you manually push the door lock lever on the driver door but both doors will NOT unlock when you manually pull the door lock lever on the driver door.

I've tested this, and it's strange that it only works one way. Seems like Honda forgot something here.

Quick Reply: A few s2000 gripes/concerns? Passenger door locking, and conv top