S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Fell asleep behind a wheel on Saturday morning..

Old 03-14-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fell asleep behind a wheel on Saturday morning..

Well I was driving home around 8 AM and fell asleep behind the wheel on a highway on the far left lane going about 60MPH..Luckily my driver's side rear wheel scraped the center divider and the noise woke me up. I was so startled and turned the handle to the right hard and almost fishtailed..it could have been much worse but driver's side rear tire and the rim are scraped like crazy now.

question:

outer side wall of my rear tire was scratched heavily with couple of patches of rubber torn and dangling from the tire (about 1/4") but the tire pressure is fine. is the tire thick enough to withstand such impact or should I change out the rear tires?

the outermost circle part of the rim is scraped like crazy and small chunks and bits of outermost edges of the rim were taken off..is this repairable with one of them rim repair shops?

could the impact have damaged any inside parts in the rear wheel area, like brakes, axle, etc?

I just detailed the car for spring on Friday, man oh man.

Avoid getting behind the wheel if you are sleepy!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:14 PM

glad you are okay!, get a new tire it might not be able to handle the load now. Pictures of the wheel will help to tell if it can be fixed. You might have caused damage to the suspension. could get a wheel alignment to tell of the angle is off.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 PM

Damn man be more careful! My girlfriend has a piece of rubber missing from her tire and the indent is about 3/8 of an inch... she is fine!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Sucks man. Glad you are OK!! I've fallen asleep before and crashed as well. Sucked!!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't take the chance on the tire.
I'd probably just get a replacement wheel, depending on what it is. A repair place will charge you ~$150, which would be plenty of money to replace with a used OEM one.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a new tire to be safe. Rim should be ok as is, but do as CKit mentioned.

Glad you are ok!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:48 AM

Loud exhausts save lives! just kidding haha, but It is great that you are ok, and as long as you have learned from this mistake this is not a big deal,I would replace the tire for sure. Better safe than sorry.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 AM

If you fell asleep while driving the S, you're doing it wrong.

Haha just kidding man, glad you're ok. Don't take any chances with the tire, and if there are chunks missing from the rim itself (anything more than nicks/scratches), you may want to look into a replacement for the wheel as well. I doubt anything else was damaged.

Be careful out there... stay awake!
Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post pics of damage to be given a more accurate assessment...And be careful out there.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 AM

next time pull over on the shoulder and take a quick rest, i couldnt imagine myself crashing into something from sleeping

Quick Reply: Fell asleep behind a wheel on Saturday morning..