S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

factory alarms: are you satisfied?

Old 12-26-2001, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory alarms: are you satisfied?

I don't mean to perseverate on this topic, but today i went to the dealer to install a honda factory alarm (for which i [over]paid $500). Luckily for me, i go to the back before they start cutting wires, because they were gonna put in a generic alarm ("but this is what we use all the time!").
After some discussion, they agree that a factory alarm is what i paid for; of course, they come back a few minutes later to tell me that they don't have it in stock -"it will be a week or more".
Finally, i tell the sales manager that i am thinking of getting a refund; i will just get my own aftermarket install. At this point, i get the typical "if you do this, you'll possibly void your warranty" talk. Is this true? and if i stick with the factory alarm, do you think this is good enough?
How much cutting of wires and drilling of holes will it take to install a good (clifford/viper/alpine) system?
Old 12-26-2001, 02:45 PM

I was wondering about this myself. I'm thinking about buying the factory alarm & installing it myself.

I am looking for "basic" security. I know if someone wants it, they'll get it.
My car is locked in the garage except for on the weekends and
I really like using a factory remote and a factory alarm unit.

Are there any additional sensors (motion, sound or ?) that can be added to the factory unit?
Old 12-26-2001, 02:47 PM

There's a hood latch alarm available as part of the factory install, but no proximity alarm, which I want. Any suggestions on adding it?

cal
Old 12-26-2001, 02:52 PM

Not at all satisfied with the factory alarm. Had two S200s ripped off while being "protected" with factory alarms. Now I stick with Clifford.
Old 12-26-2001, 03:11 PM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno about you guys but i strongly feel that aftermarket alarms are a waste of $$$.
If they are going to steal your car they are gonna do it no matter what. Basically, everyone has been in the shopping center parking lot, or a large parking lot where someone's car alarm is going off. Does anyone seem to pay attention to it? Everyone just walks by and ignores it. I have had my top slashed open with my stock alarm. I dont think an aftermarket alarm would have prevented that situation.

my nickel-3 pennies
Old 12-26-2001, 10:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4IGS2000
[B]I dunno about you guys but i strongly feel that aftermarket alarms are a waste of $$$.

It's not a waste of money at all. Nobody is saying an alarm, factory or aftermarket, is the be-all-end-all. However, approached sensibly, and used along with other measures, an alarm system *is* an effective deterrent.

In general, factory alarms simply plug into the existing wiring harness. In my Lexus, there was a plug for this under the seat, not very well hidden I might add. No wires to cut and splice though. Perhaps some aftermarket alarms can be ordered "vehicle specific" with plugs already installed, but I haven't seen them. I'd think the aftermarket alarms would provide more features and security than the factory option.

I own an alarm company that installs residential and commercial security systems . . . but not car alarms, except for out own vehicles. So I'm not currant as to what's available in auto alarms.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:27 PM

i hate the factory alarm, and i wish i had never gotten it.

i'm gonna save up for a clifford concept 600. i should be getting it this summer after i get a couple things i'm looking for (i'm only 17, so this takes some time).
Old 12-26-2001, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think alarms are a waste of money - especially at $500, I have had two different cars with different aftermarket alarms and both had stuff stolen from them.

my policy is to leave nothing of any value in the car and if they steal the car let the insurance deal with.