S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Extended warranty - Anyone Bother?

Old 10-20-2003, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty - Anyone Bother?

Has anyone had any problems with the S2k?

My warranty has expired and I was thinking of getting an aftermarket extended warranty?

Is it worth it? Anyone had any problems with their S that makes it worth while getting?

I've been quote $1200 for 4 years/100,000 miles with everything coverage (except wear and tear, doesn't cover the top either.)

Cheers

Wardy
Old 10-20-2003, 10:55 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Wardy,

There are really two questions that you're asking...

1. Yes, many folks here have had problems with their cars. Some, quite severe.

2. Many folks do not trust dealer service.

I think whether you want the extension depends on your faith in the dealer network.

I didn't take extended warranty.

I think that price, by the way, sounds high to me.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased it out of stupidity in my thinking I would be completely satisifed with the stock vehicle. Then I found s2ki and voided my warranty on many components within the first month of ownership.

If you are never going to do any modification to your vehicle that would void certain coverage (FI, CAI, whatever), then you can go ahead and get it. Just keep in mind, that if you ever change your mind on the mod stuff, wait 6 years.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:29 AM

Also look into 3rd party warranties, they will probably be cheaper than what you can get at the dealer. WarrantyDirect sells pretty good policies, I have one on my GTI and I have been very happy. You can get repairs done at any facility (local mechanics or dealers) and they don't seem to care about mods.

http://www.warrantydirect.com

-Nick
Old 10-20-2003, 11:37 AM

3ngin33r1 makes a good point. I didn't purchase an extended warranty because I knew that many of the modifications that I plan to do will void pretty much all warranties.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:40 AM

At least my door locks, soft top and windows will still be covered under warranty... Unless they blame window problems on my tint...
Old 10-20-2003, 12:28 PM

I have one from onesourceautowarranty.com. According to the contract, mods are ok, but obviously they won't a part that breaks as a direct result of the mod. I haven't had to use it yet to see if they're easy to work with.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:08 PM

I'm getting one- up to about 30k miles now. I found a guy that will sell me a warranty for $50 over cost so I am getting Hondacare 7yr/100k for less than $1,200.

Basically, I have never gotten anything but top notch service from my Honda dealer, and I have been using them for quite a few years and numerous cars. I read all of the horror stories about dealer service on this site, but my dealer is awesome. They check the TSBs every time I come in without me asking them, and their work is always right. The same guy works on my car every time and he knows quite a bit about S2ks- I think he is their designated S2k expert and he is pretty proud of it. He even remembers my name, go figure.

I spend $800 per year for collision/comprehensive coverage when the last accident I had was in 1993. $300 per year for mechanical insurance does not seem like such a bad deal. I expect that in the long run this Honda will be as reliable as all of the others I have owned, but after reading some of the weirdo stories on this site I'm going for the warranty. I didn't plan on doing any mods, anyway.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:35 PM
Banned

I also have extended warranty. Bought it for $1,1xx for 7yr/100K. Hope they'll treat it like an original warranty should I have any problems in the future. Mine's still under factory warranty.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One item of note, some of the aftermarket warranties do cover wear and tear items.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty - Anyone Bother?