S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

extended warranty

Old 11-18-2002, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extended warranty

I was wondering is it possible to buy an extended warranty long after the car has already been purchased?

when I bought my s two years ago, they offered a 10yr/100,000 miles extended warranty for something in the neighborhood of 600 bucks or something like that. I declined because I was cheap. Now I'm wondering, maybe its not such a bad idea with all the things that can go wrong with the car. But I dont' know if you can go to a dealer and buy a warranty like that.

any experiences?
Old 11-18-2002, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that at least some of the aftermarket extended warranties, and maybe even Honda's extended warranty, are available until the car is out of the 3/36 factory warranty.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:48 PM

You want a "real" HondaCare warranty - $600 for 6yr/60k does not sound like a bad price, but it probably was not a HondaCare warranty.

http://www.hondawarranty.com

has online prices (note, they e-mail you a $75 e-coupon so the prices shown are a little high).

With Honda, the price goes up $60 once you pass 24 months or 24k miles, and $160 once you pass 36 months or 36k miles. Once you hit 42 months or 42k miles then you are out of luck. The difference in price between the $0 and $50 deductible plans is less than $50 - so if you have just one claim in the time you keep the car the $0 plan is the best deal.

I have seen/heard that the dealer cost on the 7 yr/75k/$0 plan is about $700 - so getting it for $775-800 is a good deal. ANY Honda dealer can sell you the plan, call around and ask for the finance department and tell them you will give them $xxx for the plan and see if you can find a taker.

Dennis
Old 11-18-2002, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by DWynne
You want a "real" HondaCare warranty - $600 for 6yr/60k does not sound like a bad price, but it probably was not a HondaCare warranty.

http://www.hondawarranty.com

has online prices (note, they e-mail you a $75 e-coupon so the prices shown are a little high).

With Honda, the price goes up $60 once you pass 24 months or 24k miles, and $160 once you pass 36 months or 36k miles. Once you hit 42 months or 42k miles then you are out of luck. The difference in price between the $0 and $50 deductible plans is less than $50 - so if you have just one claim in the time you keep the car the $0 plan is the best deal.

I have seen/heard that the dealer cost on the 7 yr/75k/$0 plan is about $700 - so getting it for $775-800 is a good deal. ANY Honda dealer can sell you the plan, call around and ask for the finance department and tell them you will give them $xxx for the plan and see if you can find a taker.

Dennis
Good advice.

Extended warranties are available through a plethora of companies besides Honda. The trick is three fold. 1) Find a company thats reputable enough to not only be around 4 years later when you have a problem but reputable enough to fix the problem. 2) Find a warranty package that actually covers things which are likely to break. Many "extended warranties" have so many caveats and disclaimers that they aren't worth the paper they're written on. 3) Realize that you save money by buying these things earlier. The real "cost" of the warranty is based on the present value of hte expected cost of repairs. Therefore the sooner you buy the package, the better the price will be. On top of that cost the warranty company or dealership (especially the dealership) will normally tack on a huge profit margin.

Good luck.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:13 PM

Da Hapa: HondaCare - I would not bother with anything else. They cover "everything" (at least as much as other plans) and the best thing is they should not go out of business and you get the work done right at the dealership with real Honda parts.

I have heard too many horror stories about the companies taking the money and running to ever spend money on a non-factory backed warranty.

Dennis
Old 11-18-2002, 04:04 PM

Yes, you can buy extended warranties after the initial purchase of your car. Just remember though, if you're car is over 2 years old, Honda Care will charge an extra $60 in addition to the price of the warranty. If you're car is 3 years old or older, they will charge even more.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:41 PM

Are these extended warranties even worth it? I hear so many stories of dealership not honoring these warranties. It doesn't make any sense to me cause it seems to me we have to jump through hoops just to get some warranty work on our cars.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-18-2002, 08:29 PM

i actually did it the other way around

i had honda care, but then i cancelled it and got my money back (part of it).

my thought is that after 3 yrs, i will most likely can't hold out for mods anymore (actually, i already did i had a header, so i guess i already kissed my engine warranty goodbye )

and i think the parts are not likely to break, and honda care won't take care of adjustment and wear & tear anyway, which WILL happen and i WILL have to pay for them anyway.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:45 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am going to return my warranty for a refund. It was $900 and after looking at it is has a $100 deductable for every repair (so it's $1000 if I ever use it). I figure I'll take my chances. If the car proves to be a pain with a lot of work needed in the first 3 years I will get rid of it (the car).

Old 11-19-2002, 04:01 AM

Does anyone know if the convertible top is covered under the extended warranty?

Quick Reply: extended warranty