S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Excessive Rust on Brake Rotors - Common for S2k? (BANDWIDTH WARNING: 5 pics/210 KB)

Old 11-02-2001, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Rust on Brake Rotors - Common for S2k? (BANDWIDTH WARNING: 5 pics/210 KB)

After washing my S2K a few times, I noted that after a few minutes of drying time, there was a nice coating of orange rust across my entire rotor. I didn't think much of it until my boss (owns an RX-7) pointed out the rust on my rotors and showed me that the non-contact surfaces of his rotors looked nothing like mine. Of course the rust on the contact surface is gone after one or two good stops, but the rust on the rest of the rotors is very heavy, and looks quite nasty through the open wheels. Are other people noticing excessive amounts of rust on the rotors? Any way to remedy this?

GameDev

Old 11-02-2001, 02:33 PM

i've got a similar prob. it usually happens when i clean the rims with any detergent. i let go and like you said, one to two stops and its gone.
Old 11-02-2001, 02:45 PM

The rust will wear off soon enough; however, the fun part comes when you first back out of your garage (post wash job). After releasing the e-brake, the pads initially are "fused" to the oxidized rotors and break loose with some drama. It's kind of disconcerting the first time you hear it, but it goes with the territory. Don't worry, all will be well.
Old 11-02-2001, 02:45 PM

the same thing happens to me all the time. i hate it a lot, 'cause i usually clean my car on saturdays, and when i go out later that night, it's really noticeable.
Old 11-02-2001, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The surface on the outer edge (outside of circle) of the rotor where the pads do not contact will always rust unless you paint them.
I'm a bit of a fanatic or a closet concourse competitor, and I always paint the vent hole edge where the pads do not contact with a high-temp silver paint, and I always paint the inner area (inside of circle) with a high-temp black. Only where the pads connect to the rotor will it stay clean.
Groits Garage high temp paint for 1,400 degrees, silver or dark grey is a fantastic option. I have also used Rust-O-leam Barbacu Black in a pinch.
Old 11-02-2001, 03:12 PM

That's normal -- I've noticed that on cars I've had in the past. You just notice it more b/c of the high visibility through the wheels!

Gowgom
Old 11-02-2001, 03:16 PM

yep, its normal. other than the contact surface, the rest of the rotors are gonna be rust covered. I like the idea of painting the edges, but no time to do it...oh well.
Old 11-02-2001, 03:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The rust always bothered me so I painted the edges and vanes with silver header paint. It works great until you get the brakes very hot with track use and then the outer paint layer may flake but it still looks better than rust. My new rotors are cad plated to prevent rust.
Old 11-02-2001, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My new rotors are car plated to prevent rust.
What's "car plated"?
Old 11-02-2001, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the info. Painted rotors sounds like a good idea, but I might just buy some upgraded rotors anyway. By the way, has anyone else noticed how ugly those brake calipers look when they're dirty (and when they're clean, even)? Honda sure picked a nasty 'oxidized copper green' color. Damn, I guess I'll need to replace those now too...

Quick Reply: Excessive Rust on Brake Rotors - Common for S2k? (BANDWIDTH WARNING: 5 pics/210 KB)