S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ever get a ticket from a cop who simply didn't like you or your car!?

Old 10-16-2003, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ace10, the story seems pretty well written to me and I certainly didn't have any trouble finding the point. If you don't like the way joeking writes and/or drives, then why don't you just IGNORE him and save yourself the agravation?
Old 10-16-2003, 12:35 PM

Old 10-16-2003, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't they have a law there like just about anywhere else where if there are no posted speed limit signs there is an automatic speed you should be following?

Like, on a regular city road here, if there is no posted limit, its 50 kph. If its a major highway and there is no posted limit, its 100 kph.

I highly doubt 70 miles per hour is the acceptable speed if you don't see any speed limit signs... its probably 50 or 55 like you ended up noticing after it was too late.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ronblanford
Old 10-16-2003, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by koala
Don't they have a law there like just about anywhere else where if there are no posted speed limit signs there is an automatic speed you should be following?

Like, on a regular city road here, if there is no posted limit, its 50 kph. If its a major highway and there is no posted limit, its 100 kph.

I highly doubt 70 miles per hour is the acceptable speed if you don't see any speed limit signs... its probably 50 or 55 like you ended up noticing after it was too late.
is answered by...

[QUOTE]
EDIT: I just looked up the driver's manual for MI at :
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/wedmk_16312_7.pdf

According to that, the max speed limit for a freeway is 70 unless posted otherwise. So, if the road was technically a freeway you have a very good case and you can quote the manual (read it entirely it will give you confidence). You can claim that the moment you saw the sign you started to slow down gradually but the cop got you before that.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:31 PM

Fair enough. Then you should fight it.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:15 PM

I'd fight it. If it was a freeway and the state's law says 70 unless otherwise posted (it's 65 unless posted in California), then you should have a good chance, especially if he was already pulling you over before the 50mph sign. Good luck!

My only encounter with law enforcement was bad as well. I was as polite as I could be (I wasn't in any sort of hurry), but the officer was extremely blunt and bitter. The exchange went something like:
Me: Good afternoon, officer.
CHP: Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: No, I wasn't looking at my speedometer [he cuts in].
CHP: I clocked you at 68 mph- license, registration, and proof of insurance. Stay here- you're getting a ticket.

All of this was said by the officer in a "I'm the law- deal with it" attitude. He didn't offer me a chance to explain that the car I just passed sped up from 35 to 60 mph as I passed him, and I had to compensate so I didn't merge into the other car's front bumper. I wouldn't have been upset if he was a little less blunt and offered me a chance to explain myself- I was as courteous as possible. I've been in cars when a friend has gotten pulled over- they were way more courteous with a good sense of humor, almost as if they were waiting for a good story- not my luck...
Old 10-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Banned

Fortunately, all cops who've pulled me over had been very nice; they mostly let me go without many hassles.

I have a very good friend who's a Lt. police officer, and he's told me that there are some real assholes in his division. They would pick on anyone on the road.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:52 PM
zid

No, but the other day as I crept along in a construction zone, the CHP who was sitting there monitoring the site got on his loudspeaker and told me "Nice car!"
Old 10-16-2003, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by zid
No, but the other day as I crept along in a construction zone, the CHP who was sitting there monitoring the site got on his loudspeaker and told me "Nice car!"

lol!! my man... we need to see some pictures of this magical ticket resistant ride!

Quick Reply: Ever get a ticket from a cop who simply didn't like you or your car!?