S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ever get a ticket from a cop who simply didn't like you or your car!?

Old 10-15-2003, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not blaming him... never was... I DID however call out his methodollogy. The ticket could be fightable... but yeah, the unposted speed limit (by default is supposed to be 55). Regardless, I don't have a choice... because even know I was very conisderate with him... he wrote it for the full amount... 70 in a 50. though it is not reckless... it is a point. The careless I have is already 3. having 4 total... means that the S gets sold!! The insurance would be more than the payment!

oh... and smokee have a wonderful day... just remember... Drive fast and pass on curves!!
Old 10-15-2003, 07:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mas
EDIT: I just looked up the driver's manual for MI at :
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/wedmk_16312_7.pdf

According to that, the max speed limit for a freeway is 70 unless posted otherwise. So, if the road was technically a freeway you have a very good case and you can quote the manual (read it entirely it will give you confidence). You can claim that the moment you saw the sign you started to slow down gradually but the cop got you before that.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:
"Ever get a ticket from a cop who simply didn't like you or your car!?"

Yes. When I was speeding, I got a ticket from a cop who simply didn't like me or my car. However, he ticketed me for speeding, which is what I was doing. I'm not sure the fact that he didn't like me or my car made a difference.

He might have been ticked at me for endangering innocent bystanders. I don't know. JI'm guessing he didn't like me because of my age and I was driving a small, Japanese couple.

Of course, it could be he didn't like me because I was doing 25 over the speed limit on a public road. You never know.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
I'm guessing he didn't like me because of my age and I was driving a small, Japanese couple.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joeking1978
[COLOR=indigo]
He asked if I had anything else on my record, and I cited the Careless Driving I got about 2 months ago for cutting across 2 lanes to make an exit...
Old 10-16-2003, 10:13 AM

joeking,

You need to look up the state laws regarding police use of radar guns. In Georgia, there is a specific law that states that you can't be given a ticket within 1/4 mile of a speed limit sign that reduces the speed. A police officer could lose his license to operate a radar gun here if he did what that guy did. But, of course, the laws in your state are different, so you'll need to do some research. Regardless, you should have a pretty good chance of fighting the charges if he clocked you before you passed the reduced speed limit sign. Don't be too cheap to get a lawyer and don't be afraid to ask for a jury trial. If a jury thinks that the officer was unfair in his tactics, they are likely to dismiss the charges. Also, the system is designed to intimidate and make it easy for you to just pay the fine. Don't fall prey to either.

As to whether or not you deserved the ticket, ask yourself a couple of questions. Did the officer write you the ticket because he genuinely thought that you were endangering others, or did he write it because someone higher up the local government food chain looks at it as a convenient excuse to raise easy money? Also, did he write it because he enjoys spreading some sort of misery to others? In my opinion, the vast majority of traffic tickets are written simply to raise money using the guise of public safety. If there was no money in it for them or if it actually cost money, would they write near as many tickets? The obvious answer to this is no. But, they would have more free time to fight actual crime which is why we pay our taxes in the first place.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ace10
Old 10-16-2003, 11:02 AM

Thanks joeking1978 I got some laughs outta your story...
Old 10-16-2003, 11:04 AM

lol... happy to hear that!!
Old 10-16-2003, 11:17 AM

you write these seemingly pointless stories in an effort to gain sympathy or support or whatever it is that your psyche needs. when people challenge your storytelling, your premise or your position on an issue you then resort to the use of sarcasm and dismissive comments.

don't post your stories and leave the thread unlocked if you can't handle the comments that follow. your story, as unusual, was difficult to read. do you reread your post before you click the "SUBMIT" button. i'm not talking about grammar or spelling, just the flow and transition of one sentence to the next.

what is the POINT of your story? are you pissed that he insulted you and you automobile? are you mad that he drove an SUV? what is it?

you were doing 70, which is pretty much the max mph in most parts of the country, on a road with which you were unfamiliar. does that sound like reasonable driving? to me, it sure doesn't. if you get pulled for speeding, when you are traveling over the speed limit, what could possibly be your complaint?

whenver you start a thread, i can always count on it being some sort of a tirade about one thing or another. are you one of those people, when involved in a conversation, listen or just wait to talk? i think the latter.

Quick Reply: Ever get a ticket from a cop who simply didn't like you or your car!?