S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ever get a ticket from a cop who simply didn't like you or your car!?

Old 10-15-2003, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday, I was coming home on Telegraph, south of I94 when I spotted a huge traffic jam up ahead... So I swiftly/strategically cut to the I94 east exit, drove about a mile, and then cut back north on Southfield Rd. RARELY am I down this way... so I'm not perfectly knowledgable of the speed limits and so forth. I94 is 70mph, and when I exited to Southfield road... another 3 lane freeway... I mistakingly assumed that the speed limit was also 70. I drove no less than about 200 yards, when there he was...

...sitting there, backed into the embankment with his SUV poo poo car... gunning me down like a cocky rich kid in the ghetto! That is when, Ironically, I saw the VERY FIRST Speed limit sign!! 50 mph!! !!!!

Very graciously, and cooperatively... I pulled over immediately. Didn't even want to take a chance at him spilling his coffee or getting a adrenaline high, or anything like that... I wanted him to be nice and calm.

He gets out... approaches my car with a John Wayne with Terrets type fashion. He proceeds to Very rudely comment on how "it is people like me, in these little japanese sports cars that make the road a giant demolishen derby!!" What the #@$@#!!?? He asked if I had anything else on my record, and I cited the Careless Driving I got about 2 months ago for cutting across 2 lanes to make an exit... he shrugs his shoulders, says "awe... too bad", and walks back to his fat mobile! (I REALLY swear to god that I have nothing against cops... my two best friends are State Troopers)... but this guy was an all out walking erection !

He comes back... Ticket in Hand... and states, "I'm sorry you were going to fast to see the speed limit signs... but maybe next time you won't be on the phone either, and that will help your observation skills..."! WHAT THE @#$#!!??. (sidenote... I wasn't even on my PHONE!! I had my ear piece clipped to my shirt... that was it!!

So today, I went back... took video of where I got on the highway as evidence that there actually was NOT a single speed limit sign in the 200 yards I had driven. ... but, I have a sneaky- I'm screwed like a hot nympho in the redlight district- suspicion, with my careless driving when this goes to court...

Does anyone else have similar a$$hole cop experiences? I know there are some GREAT ones out there... like I said, I know a few... but man... these over empowered saftey junkies got to go!
Old 10-15-2003, 03:47 PM

Like the story, sorry that happened too ya, good luck in court.

~Andrew
Old 10-15-2003, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

times like this a tape recorder would really come in handy. that is why i always travel with a small tape recorder in the car and secretly turn it on when i get pulled over. i'm not saying anything the cop said would help you in court, but it's always best to have some sort of taped evidence than not, even if you don't end up using it. anyway, goodluck with the case.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:53 PM

I have to be careful with this one!! I tend to have stong opinions of police officers, especially ones that let you know who the boss is. That pisses me off. I want to just drive over their foot and haul ass!! I got a ticket today in my wife's Allroad. I was going 84 in a 70.........COME ON!!! Who is not going that fast in a 70 mph zone? I was in the right lane minding my own damn business but they see that I am driving a $48,000 yuppie mobile and they don't give two shi ts!! I guess I don't blame em. Hopefully, If I ever get caught going triple digits maybe I will get lucky. I just got an idea for a new thread!! Probably been done before. Good luck
Old 10-15-2003, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by joeking1978
Does anyone else have similar a$$hole cop experiences?
Nope...not a single one.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

One bad apple spoils it for all officers eh?

Asif
Old 10-15-2003, 06:27 PM

joeking's life is a living hell.

Gary
Old 10-15-2003, 06:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you should have your day in court.... with evidence that you were doing what the signs said. you had notice of the change in speed when you saw the new sign. if they want to enforce a law, they have to give notice of what it is!!!
good luck, it sounds like you should win this one since the evidence you have is against them.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:41 PM
mas

EDIT: I just looked up the driver's manual for MI at :
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/wedmk_16312_7.pdf

According to that, the max speed limit for a freeway is 70 unless posted otherwise. So, if the road was technically a freeway you have a very good case and you can quote the manual (read it entirely it will give you confidence). You can claim that the moment you saw the sign you started to slow down gradually but the cop got you before that.

Good luck!
Old 10-15-2003, 06:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

20MPH over the limit is reckless driving in Illinois where the speed limit is NEVER over 65 MPH. Seems like the cop was doing his job. I've had my run-ins with the police, but I never blamed THEM for my speeding.

Quick Reply: Ever get a ticket from a cop who simply didn't like you or your car!?