S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

ERL Race NA Motor Complete

Old 07-08-2006, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jauns, Being a little kind - it was 272whp With spec A cams and a little more compression . Yes it has the stock intake manifold and modded TB . Dyno is in the 240whp thread .

Right now everything else is undisclosed as we are still tweaking to get to 300whp . I also have a second car to try and duplicate the numbers and a third car with ITB's to do some testing with .

Scott
Old 07-08-2006, 10:52 AM

ahhh thats what I thought It would be. I figured I would need a cam to break over 260whp NA. The throttle bodies are going to be interesting to see where my top power comes out at. If I can make the same 272whp with the throttle bodies on, then with higher compression and a better cam like you guys are using you should be able to hit near 300whp.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:15 PM

Hey everyone well I want to give you the current news. Car was dynoed and me and Art at TrackMasters tuned it. The results are very very odd. Max power only went upto about 207whp and torque was low in the 140's. Our first thought was to check the engine compression to make sure no damage was done while the car ran without the Itbs. We did a compression test and It cam out to be 245-245-245-240. Given what we have there I am happt with the compression and each cyl was close to each other. O.ne would now think tuning but Art has done itbs before and also had Bubba for cali out there to teach him. Tuning was done Via tps vs Fuel. The car starts up without even having to press the gas, and Idles great. The way we have it now is Vtech Comes in at 4500rpm. Also it Tdoesnt come in till 80% throttle. Part throttle does very well and feels good and smooth. Tuning was done on the street and on the dyno. Fueling is around 13.0 till about 6500 where is slowing drops down to around 12.5 at 9000 rpm. So we are kinda confused as to what the problem is. I know that I should be way higher than that. With the current setup 250whp at least should be made. Itbs are not going to give you a crap load of top end esp with a stock cam but I know you can get upto 260whp NA on the stock cams. The dyno could possibly be off. The car pulls very well but it doesnt feel like more than 220whp. If this is a tuning thing the throttle bodies are making it very difficult to tune. If anyone would like to throw some ideas out im up for talk. It may well be something very simple in the tuning or something im just not thinking about. Anyways thats where we are at right now and I just wanted to be honestly with the progress. It wouldnt do me any good to say I have 270whp just to be cool. I will hope to have close to that once I work out there snags but I have to take one step at a time. Thanks guys and keep watching the post.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:14 PM

Any tuners post on the forum?
Old 07-09-2006, 06:02 PM

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time tuning . Seems like you have everything else in order . I assume you are using a AEM ecu?

I am only the builder , my tuner is Giles at Holyroller dyno

You can e-mail him at--------- giles@holyrollerdyno.com
Old 07-09-2006, 06:48 PM

I'm probably way off but I'll just throw this out there, is the timing correct with the cams and crank?
Old 07-09-2006, 07:53 PM

The timing is probably correct otherwise you would have a very very rough time starting it if it would start at all, even with a standalone. But it might be worth checking that.

The target A/F that you set seems to be a good starting point and you can always very when you get up there but it seems you are running into a more mechanical problem than tunning issue.

Even so what are you using for tunning? AEM? or something a little more advanced in the neighborhood of motec? With a basic setup like the AEM I'll take a look at your settings. I'm no major pro, like some others that could look at them but dosen't hurt to double check.

Also do you have a dyno that you could post up and let others see? Not to laugh at the numbers but maybe there's something it could tell us that we could speak up on.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:27 PM

I believe that my Timing is set up right. THe car runs very good and is smooth and part throttle feels great. The dyno charts doesnt show anything that is going to help us. If its in the tuning them we are missing something. If its mechanical I have yet to figure out the problem. As soon as we can work it out there a ton of power waiting for me. Like I said I just wante dto be honest about the progess. The numbers are way too low and there is a reason we just have to figure it out. Oh the pain of Throttle bodies.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:36 AM

Keep us updated on the progress, Im really interested to see what this motor can do.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:47 AM

I'd suggest talking to Jack at P1 (check my sig) about AEM tuning and even bringing your car to him. I can say that he's one of the best in the country when it comes to Hondas, ITBs, and the AEM EMS.

Quick Reply: ERL Race NA Motor Complete